Bought Little Giant 'Still Air' Incubator.... should I get the fan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Biddylover, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    This is my first time and I have it plugged in (after reading the directions a few times and spilling water everywhere and spiking the temp to 110) and it is regulating now... LOL. I bought this still air incubator and an egg turner but I didn't realize what still air meant. I know stupid right? So the fan is sold separately, do I go and buy the fan? Is it a necessity? I'm a single mom and would like to make this work without spending anymore money lol. I am going to attempt to hatch out 12 Delawares and 12 Barred Rocks and I don't want to unknowingly mess something up.

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I Like having a fan. You can hatch fine without one but its more sensitive to temp fluctuations.
    This page may help http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

Dont
    wast money on the fan kits. Just find a pc fan an wire it to a old power plug. Just need a plug with a DC output close to 12 volts.

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    he, knows what hes talking about, i have the same bator & he guided me trough it yesterday & my temp. hardly moves at all if any & that is with 3 difernt thermomters, it is doing great, got to get my humidity down a bit but thats all, go with the pc fan, alot cheaper than the fan kit.

4. Biddylover

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    Ok thank you!I will go to his link, I'm not sure how to get a pc fan??? I'm glad I got started getting this together before hand! I am hoping this will be as fun as I'm expecting, used to raising two day old chicks. My boys are very excited. I'm rambling.... I am guessing the fan has something to do with the humidity? We noticed there isn't much moisture on the see through glass but the temp is at 99.5 consistently after much twisting and turning. Hmmm [​IMG]

5. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    most any non working pc, fan still works most of the time, if not i think you can get them at raideo shack for little of nothing, but you can find them most anywhere, if you need help wireing it up or mounting it pm me.

6. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    i have a 1980 lil giant still air incubator and it works great with NO fan i have 52 eggs in there and my temp is pretty consistant bout a 2 degree change if anything

7. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have hatched in a still air LG and got 100% hatches. I later got a fan and liked it better. If you put it somewhere like a laundry room with no windows and the temp doesn't swing more than 3-4 deg, then it will be fine. I started with an LG and now have a Dickey's and a GQF and a hatcher so watch out!!!!

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    You can used a 80mm PC fan from the old computer. I route the wire to underneath the controller board and through the power cord and then attached to the 5V phone charger. It work just fine. You can get it free or dirt cheap.

9. Biddylover

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    You guys are awesome and very encouraging. I'm a nervous wreck about actually hatching out my first batch [​IMG] ... I ended up ordering the fan kit due to timing and the holiday. I have a feeling I will be making homemade incubators before it is over. I love this chicken obsession I have [​IMG] and it keeps me out of trouble [​IMG]

10. ChicksAre4Kids

ChicksAre4Kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    I know this is old, but people (like me) still read them to study up on certain incubators. I use 12v fans and a variable voltage wallwart power source. That way, you can adjust airflow with 5 or 6 speeds. Just a helpful hint.

CK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by