Bought my DD a beginners Bow and Arrow combination..now what?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by onedoodle3, Mar 5, 2013.

1. onedoodle3

onedoodle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought my 9 year old DD a Starter Bow and Arrow Combination kit. She wants to join the Archery team next year when she goes to middle school. So I thought (those that know me know how dangerous THAT is!!! [​IMG] ) why not go ahead and buy her a combination set now and it will help build some muscles in her arms where her body has been "eating" on the muscle due to her medical problems, plus she will get some experience in shooting a bow and arrow. I guess I was just thinking it would be delivered here and all we would have to do is take it out of the box and she could start trying to shoot it. I made the HUGE mistake of saying something at work last night about getting the set for her and, boy, did I hear about it!! Seems you have to "cut the arrows" , you have to adjust the pull ( I think that's what it's called), you have to do this, you have to do that... I'm hoping the blasted thing comes with one heck of an instruction booklet since it's painfully obvious I know nothing about bows OR arrows!! Can anyone give me some guidelines on what we will need to do once it is delivered? Am I making any sense? Personally I'm beginning to think I've lost my mind and just need help in finding it...[​IMG]

This is one thing she has really showed an interest in and I'm hoping it will keep her occupied enough that she won't have time to dwell on her health issues. Any help will be appreciated!!!!

Kaye

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You will prob. have to take her to an archery shop to get the bow set for her draw length and weight. they might also have to cut the arrows down to her length. All my husbands stuff gets modified. He shoots left with a 25in draw length and 60-70 draw weight. His last bow set cost almost 1000$.

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I got my niece a bow and arrow for Christmas, she's 8. I don't think at that age you need to worry about adjusting the bow or taking it to an archery shop. Unless it's really screwed up it will be fine the way it comes in the box. I wouldn't over think this.

4. onedoodle3

I found her set on Midway USA for $50. I didn't think that was too bad a price. But then again, I know NOTHING about bows and arrows. As you can tell. [​IMG] I will go ahead and see if I can find an archery shop around here so I know where to go when it comes in. Thank you so much! Will we have to do much upkeep on it? Like oil anything, stuff like that? I normally research stuff like this before I buy anything, but I was just so happy she wanted to do this, I just blindly ordered it. I am excited for it to get here though. The one I bought her is...wait for it.....PINK!! [​IMG] She is such a girly girl, I knew as soon as I saw it, she would choose that one. I have no clue where she got the girly girl from...It certainly wasn't from ME!! [​IMG]

Anyway, thank you so much for your help. If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I will take all the advice I can get! [​IMG]

5. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I beg to differ . Nothing is more dangerous than shooting with a bow that is not set up right. You can hurt your forearm, if the arrows are too short for the draw you can end up shooting through your hand. Too much draw weight and you just ain't enjoy shooting and you have issues aiming. There is a reason why I don't use my hubbys bow, its not set up for me. A bow is a deadly weapon and therefore needs to be treated with respect. Not worrying too much is how people get hurt.

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You are comparing an adult's bow to a child's bow. 85 pound draw versus 15. If you teach your kid how a bow is supposed to be shot it's not as dangerous as you are making it out to be.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  7. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Make sure the bow string is in good shape. You don't want it to snap as she pulls back. Is the bow you bought a long bow or a compound bow? Whats the draw ? I priced them for my kids and came up with 300$, but thats with sight and range finder.

8. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Where do you get 85 pounds? It doesn't matter what weapon, not being set up right makes it dangerous for the person using it.

9. onedoodle3

10. conny63malies

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by