1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bought my firsr supply for chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lucky5101, Feb 18, 2013.

1. lucky5101

lucky5101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    maryland
    Went in Tractor Supply to look at chicken stuff and ask a few questions about chicks days. I wasn't really planning on getting anything, just pricing things out. Well I was looking at the feed, and one bag had a coupon on it for $1 off, and it was on sale. I figure that's a sign, so I bought it lol:p. I am also picking up some free supplies for the coop and run tomorrow from a couple people on freecycle.

How long do you think a 10lb bag of chick starter will last for 6 chicks?

One week until the new additions!

2. hopefulpeeps

hopefulpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Franklin, NC
    I don't know, but congrats! I'm getting my first 6 in May!

3. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I think I remember it lasting a couple weeks if not more, but I could be wrong. It's been a while since I've bought only 6 chicks. Do you have any idea about what breed you want? Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. lucky5101

Mar 23, 2012
    maryland
    I really like australorps, marans, orpingtons, wyandottes, and I think my daughter would like a fuzzy silkie. I would really just like a variety, so I'm not set on any particular breeds.

5. ImpulsiveFarmer

ImpulsiveFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Our Tractor Supply normally has australorps and silkies at some point during their chick days. I've never seen[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] marans, orpingtons, or wyandottes, but I think it varies from store to store. [/FONT]

6. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    a few weeks. 100 lbs est. is about how much it would take to get them to laying. Maybe more, 10 wont last them but a couple weeks. it starts out slow, but as they grow they eat like monsters!

7. lucky5101

Mar 23, 2012
    maryland
    Thanks for the info. I'm thinking I might exchange it for a bigger bag since I just noticed I bought starter/grower, not just starter...or would that be OK for the first couple weeks?
    Our tsc still hasn't gotten any, but I called Southern States and the girl who orders them asked me what kind in was looking for, so maybe she will order one that I gave her :)

8. Sweetly Silkies

Sweetly Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    MO
    My Coop
    I think they need starter if they have that. I cant remember if the starter/grower is the same thing as just starter..

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The starter/grower will be fine. I feed all of my chicks gamebird crumbles. The starter/grower just wont be medicated. Good luck with your peepers!
    Nikki

10. lucky5101

Mar 23, 2012
    maryland
    Thanks for the info Nikki!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by