Bought new coup chicks fretting bad hate it

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by max101, Mar 29, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I bought a big coup for my 15 week old silkies. They hate it. They are all gathered at the gate freaking out. Their is no way there is any snakes or anything in it. [​IMG] Why are they acting like this?[​IMG] Can chooks hate things so bad they can die from stress. I have pulled the old coup apart so will I just leave them in there and hope for the best:he

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Are there roosts?

Do you have feeders and waterers in there?

Is there adequate ventilation?

Can you give us some pics?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Chickens hate change, even if it is for their better. Show them where to sleep by putting them on roosts and they will get it eventually. Pics though would help just in case there is something up with the new coop they might not like.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens are naturally afraid of new things. It's a survival mechanism for them.

Spend some time, showing them it's safe. Act relaxed. Talk normally. Tap lightly on the wall with your finger and run your hand up and down the wall. Reach down and put your hand and arm through their pop hole door, into the coop. All of these activities will show them that this strange, potentially dangerous object is actually safe. Sprinkle some favorite treat around the door and on the ramp, if it has one.

Then I'd put them inside the coop and do the same sort of activities in there. After that, I'd let them do whatever they wanted. At bedtime, if they're still in the run, I'd put them in the coop and lock them up for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by