Bought ready to lay hens. They dont know what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adorable, Aug 7, 2007.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Hi everyone. I just bought some new pullets yesturday from someone that had them in a cage ,When they lay a egg the egg rolls out down a shout. But now i have them . They dont know nothing. Will instints(sp) set in?. They dont know what grass is. They wouldnt go in the coop at night time. When i shoo them in. And shut the door. Well i tell ya. What a noise. They tried to step on each other in the corner. And goes for nesting boxes. What is that. They plop out their eggs just where they are standing. And shaving on the floor .. They were scared of that. I am really shocked at all this. Will all this work out on their own. Or how do i work at this to make things right?I threw them so bread as a treat. They just stared at it. [​IMG][​IMG]
    adorable

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! What a wonderful thing you did saving those hens from such abuse!!

What your hens are going through is a period of adjustment. Yes, they will get better in time. But you'll have to be patient with them, they are doing all they know to do, but yes, their instinct will kick in and they will learn how to be chickens. Check out the link below and read of someone elses experience with factory hen:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8496

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I checked that post. Wow mine wasnt nothing like that. Thank god. They are eating up lost of gravel and dust bathing. They are sure loving that. I put a small night light in the coop. I am hoping they will go in by themself tonight. They are happy birds now. Lots of eggs. I have to keep checking. Because they just drop anywhere. I really hope that gets better.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you tried placing a golf ball in the nests so they go and put their eggs there too?

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Yes, golf balls work well with my hens, too. Even the new pullets are laying in the nest boxes. Give them time, they'll get the hang of it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by