Bought seven new hens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by YakLady, Nov 3, 2009.

1. YakLady

YakLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    ....from a guy on Craigslist. He had a nice set-up, and alot of nice birds. He had them in different areas, depending on the breed. He told me that all of the birds are purebreeds, but he doesn't keep the colors separate. I chose a few cochins, an Orpington, and a somethin'-or-other. He looked at Ms. Somethin'-or-other, and said "Oops, she got in the for sale pen accidentally. Didn't mean to put her in here, but you can take her if you want." He mumbled something about her being something that starts with "M", I think. He obviously wasn't pleased that I did, in fact, want her. I'm curious..does anyone know what she is? Sorry, I'm still so new to chickens, that I can't identify them easily. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]
    Here she is.

[​IMG]
    Ameraucana on the left, and cochin on the right???

[​IMG]
    Ameraucana?

[​IMG]
    I threw this one in here for fun. Check out my sheep-lovin' Silkie Roo, Fricken.

2. darkroo

darkroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Sandy
    [​IMG]
    Way cool looking birds
    [​IMG]
    I'll be interested in what they are.

3. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    How lucky are you! I have no idea what the bird in the first pic is, but she is beautiful! The roo in the second pic is a cochin, and your two Ameraucanas are actually Easter Eggers.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Do you have any more pics of the first girl and the cochin? I'd love to see those colors from a different angle. Nice!

5. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    That's a rooster?!!!!!!! He told me they are all hens. I thought for sure it's a hen.

I'll try to get a better shot of her today.

6. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I don't see any roos. Get those pics! [​IMG]
    You better keep that cochin locked up, I'm gettin in the jeep! [​IMG]

7. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    no, none of them are roos

8. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    The mystery hen looks like some kind of cross to me. Maybe the M was for mutt.

9. YakLady

Jul 8, 2009
    Detroit area
    Quote:LOL! Ok, I went out today and took some pics for you. I got an email from the guy who I bought them from. The mystery hen is a Minorca-Orp mix. HappyMtn, the cochin that you and I think is so pretty is now named Diva. Even my husband, who doesn't like chickens nearly as much as I do, says that she's a pretty chicken. I tried to get shots at different angles, but you know how that goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a picture of who came to check out what all the commotion was about. This is Jessie, one of our bulls.
    [​IMG]

10. Goose and Fig

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh she is stunning! Looks like maybe she could have been part of a lemon blue project (but we all know it's not REALLY lemon blue, and the genetics gurus hate it when we say that!)

I'd cross her with a blue, splash or buff roo and see if you could keep that color going. [​IMG]

YakLady- got your PM. These pups are driving me crazy! They are so darn cute- how do people that raise dogs ever part with them? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by