bought these as a standard size welsummer pair..1.5 to 2 mo were we duuped??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by naightengale, Aug 24, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    [​IMG] the roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]the pullet

[​IMG]

any comparison pics of welsummer chicks 2mo would be welcome plzzzzzzz.

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what my pair looked like at 2 months.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your pictures don't show much for scale, but going by the size of the hand holding them they're full sized birds. Were you thinking they were bantams, or something else? They appear to be a pair of Welsummers.

4. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    yes i was afraid they were going to be bantum welsummers because they are alot smaller than my other 2mo standard size chickens but they were just bigger than a bunch of 2mo chicks a bunchof people on here told me were bantums. its got me confused...

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, they are standard-sized Welsummers.

6. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    so does that mean my other babies that people on here said were bantums are gona be standard size too??
    [​IMG]
    this is the largest of my other two month olds that were voted bantums. here she was about 1.5 to 2 mo. they are bigger than the female welsummer.
    they are bigger than my millie flur bantums.

7. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

Hard to tell scale here, but the leaves in the background are hosta leaves, so that should help. Louise is my Welsummer pullet and the girly on the left is one of my Salmon Faverolles. This picture was taken when they were 4 weeks old, two to four weeks younger than your Welsummers are now. As you can see, they are tiny--much smaller than a pigeon, smaller even than a Mourning Dove.

BantAms grow more quickly than standard size chickens, in my experience. These girls were hatched the same day as my Mille Fleur bantams and my Cochin bantams (I hatched Louise and her brother, along with my Ameraucanas and Marans, myself but had the Salmon Faverolles and bantams shipped as day-olds--I timed my hatch to correspond to the hatchery hatch). From about 4 weeks until they hit about 3 months old, the bantams were the same size as the heavy breed chickens. They were even all the same size as the cockerels, and in fact, some of the smaller breed chickens were bigger than cockerels of the larger breed chickens. But then they all had their growth spurts and the cockerels became much bigger, the heavy breed pullets grew beyond the size of the bantams, and now I even have some 17 week old pullets who are squatting.

What I'm trying to say is that rates of growth vary hugely. Wait until they are all 6 months old and then make a judgement. By the way, in the picture you can see that Giselle the Salmon Faverolles is smaller than Louise the Welsummer. Now she is slightly bigger.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by