Bought these "Assorted Banded Pullets" What Breed??

jpalazzi

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 19, 2012
Any ideas of what breeds I have hear? They were in a bin at the farm supply store that just said "Assorted Banded Pullets"

I'm guessing the "Assorted Banded Pullets" was actually "Assorted Bantam Pullets". It's hard to guess breeds when their that little, but there are a few things you could tell us that would help us guess. What kind of combs do they have? Are their legs clean or feathered? What color are their legs?

Thanks for the quick reply. The bin they were in actually said "banded." The lady at the store said that they were banded so you were guaranteed a hen.

So I havent taken a close look at them tonight, but based on what the wife says the combs are yellow (cant really tell what shape maybe pea), feet are orange, and their legs smooth not feathered.

Last edited:
That's really weird, I've heard nothing of a chick being "banded" except for getting a leg band put on. Maybe she meant "Sexed" instead of "banded"? I'm not very good with guessing breeds when their this small, but maybe someone else will hop on and help you out
smile.png

My first guess wouldn't be EE's because usually EE's have green or slate legs, it isn't always the case but it's the norm. My guess is that the Middle one with the dark chipmunk stripe is a Welsummer, the light yellow is a buff orpington, and the chestnut one on the right is ???

Sorry I'm not the best
wink.png

The darker one could be a brown leghorn. Not sure about the lighter one. I also don't see anything characteristic of EEs. You could look up "duckwing laying hen" on here or Google to see what comes up (that is the name of the coloring indicated by the chipmunk pattern).

I think by banded they meant that chipmunk striping. Chicks that have that chipmunk look can be a partridge coloring when older. But that coloring won't guarantee that they are pullets.

Some of the breeds with a chipmunk look as chicks are Brown Leghorn and Partridge Plymouth Rock.

Partridge rocks are not chipmunk as chicks. The coloring indicated by the chipmunk coloring is duckwing, which is different from partridge coloration.

Partridge rock:

Back
Top Bottom