Bought these in the "assorted ducks" bin but am told they may be geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gerbie44, Mar 20, 2015.

1. gerbie44

gerbie44 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday my kids and I went to Big R and bought them from the assorted duck bin but I have had trouble finding the breed. I asked on the duck forum and they think they may be goslings. What do you guys think? Are these goslings and if so any guesses on their breed?

2. They are for sure goslings. 3 brown chinese or african and 1 white chinese. The 3 dark ones i would bet are brown chinese though. They look just like the ones i raised, chinese are more refined looking compared to africans even as goslings.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure a precious, are you going to keep them since they aren't ducklings? they are actually more personable than ducks and i have both.

4. gerbie44

Mar 18, 2013
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    My husband says yes. We will keep them. He is excited for geese and I'm sure I will fall in love with them even though I was hoping for ducks. Will they get along with chickens/khaki Campbell ducks though?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If introduced when young they should do fine until breeding season then you will have to separate your geese from the rest of the flock if they are penned together, if they have alot of property to wander on and sleep in different houses they will be fine all together. But a gander during breeding season will not tolerate any other animal even us humans. But that's a long way down the road. just enjoy the little cuties now. Goslings are just so precious when young I think your already finding that out. [​IMG] good info https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. gerbie44

Mar 18, 2013
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. Adorable Goslings. I hope you enjoy your feathered puppies!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by