1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bought this bantam at the feed store, what is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Buxton Ducks, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I got this little girl? at the feed store. I was told it was a hen but I am not sure because it mounts the other chickens. It does not crow and my rooster has no issues with it. It has a pea comb and large wattles. Any guesses on a breed, I guessing mix.[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it looks like a bantam red cochin rooster to me but i have been wrong more times then right so if i say it ,im sure someone will let me know. hahahhaha i will say that most feed stores only sell full breeded doodles

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    A Red Cochin with a pea comb & clean legs? That's different.
    Full breeded doodles????????

It's a mutt.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    looks like a mixed breed to me and that is a cockerel

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    not sure what you mean by doodles? but there are many feed stores that claim to have purebreds and they are mutts. A lot of people have that problem with TSC

6. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    hatchery quality Buff Brahma bantam rooster. Reason he doesn't crow is because you have another roo who is more dominant than him.

7. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    see! all i have to do is guess and you find out what it is. hahahaha.... and doodles is an old country name for baby chicks it is all i have ever heard them called.[​IMG]

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    brahma have feathered feet and the coloring isnt right, it isnt even buff
    here is what the coloring should look like (he is not the best exampole he has a little to much red and needs more tan)
    [​IMG]

9. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Thanks everybody! My feed store sells just about everything, not just full breeds. Well I guess I have another rooster. Lets hope it isn't too much for the three little hens.

10. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    That's why I said hatchery quality, the Columbian pattern fits, and I have seen hatchery brahmas without feathered legs too. As for the colour, again hatchery quality, I know one hatchery I use to order from their "buffs" that would pass sooner as a red than any buff I have ever seen.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by