Bought this coop online... any reviews on these coops?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by surfchicken72, Jun 7, 2010.

1. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello... new chicken owner. In my defiance to owning them I refused to build the coop, so my wife bought one online..... and now the chicks are here (my defiance did not work.. [​IMG] as usual ) Of course now that they are part of our home I only want the best for them. (I'm such a softie) Anyway.. any reviews on these products? We're in New England and just want to be sure these things are sturdy enough...

Coop Purchased:
    http://www.critter-cages.com/index....id=710&zenid=d2871f31c4a57d0a3caebb7e92d0ed77

Thanks for any words of wisdom or criticism...
    surfchicken72

2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    It looks nice, not familiar 1st hand w/ that type of coop, how many chickens do you have? Also where are you in NE??? I'm in Hudson, MA & chicks arrive next week![​IMG]

3. surfchicken72

we're in Holbrook, MA and we have 6 chicks. about 3 weeks old. Currently in my old 55 gallon fish tank.

4. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    Those Brand of coops are known for wood splitting when being assembled and wood warping.

5. kcsunshine

kcsunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Maryville, Tennessee
    6 full sized birds will be cramped in there. Best put your carpentry apron on and get ready to add on. Besides, you know you won't stop with 6. [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yup I have one-6 chickens will not be comfortable as they grow up to adulthood-I can see maybe 6 bantams but not large fowl at all. I thought mine would be bigger than the photo for some reason-you know where it is right now? In my yard after a year still trying to figure out what the heck to use it for because of how small it is? It WOULD be perfect for a trio of bantams though:)

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Well if it's warm enough couldn't you use it as a breeder coop? In my case if it had two nests, I could use it as broody coop. I had 4 hens go broody this spring and no where to put three of them. Hence a mess of hatching in relays and removal of chicks to keep the flow going. Poor hens were sitting for 6 wks instead of 4. Not to mention crosses. I was giving chicks away.

As for stopping at 6 birds? If you've got more than a small yard I wouldn't bet on anyone who said "oh i'm just gonna have six". I'll believe that when monkey's fly outta my butt! [​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Well if it's warm enough couldn't you use it as a breeder coop? In my case if it had two nests, I could use it as broody coop. I had 4 hens go broody this spring and no where to put three of them. Hence a mess of hatching in relays and removal of chicks to keep the flow going. Poor hens were sitting for 6 wks instead of 4. Not to mention crosses. I was giving chicks away.

As for stopping at 6 birds? If you've got more than a small yard I wouldn't bet on anyone who said "oh i'm just gonna have six". I'll believe that when monkey's fly outta my butt! [​IMG]

I could but then Id have to fence in the whole area-m guys free range all day and I would have to secure that thing up tight-we already added a ton of hardware in the Fall-I will eventually:) Id love to have enough room to put it back in the garage/ coop for a broody and I might just do that with one or two:) Thanks I never thought of that!

9. surfchicken72

uggggggh. very discouraging. we have 3 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Barred Rocks..... I'm guessing from the responses it's gonna be too small... and I also I thought they looked cheap... crap..... jeez... OK so it's basically firewood?

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Not firewood. Use is for a broody, or to grow out babies before adding them to the main flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by