Bought two injured chicks today - anything else I should do for them?

Verbascum

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2016
Jewell, IA
I was at my local farm store this morning and saw two Easter Egger chicks with their tails pecked bloody by the others (there were far too many in the brooder). I felt so bad for the little things that I ended up bringing them home.

I gently washed off the blood and put neosporin (with no pain medicines added) on the areas and then sprayed on a bit of blu kote. I have the two of them in a small brooder by themselves with plenty of water and feed.

They are both pretty lethargic right now, I imagine from trying to run away from the constant pecking. They're breathing and pooping normally, but not yet eating and drinking.

This is my first time treating injured birds, so is there anything in particular I should look out for? Anything else I should do for their comfort?

Thanks in advance!

Give them a little sugar or agave nectar in the water too give some energy. Dip their beaks in it so you know they drink.

I'd put them on paper towels and spread their feed on the floor of the brooder. They'll peck at what's at their feet so they don't have to look for the feeder. Some plain yogurt won't hurt.

Depending on how bad the wounds are and if you retreat, rinse with saline, use some betadine and the Neosporin.

Last edited:
Add some of the electrolytes to their water as well. At this point, they need all the energy they can get. Wouldn't hurt to offer them some egg yolk right by them as well so they don't have to expend energy to move in order to eat it. Poor little things! Good for you for rescuing them. My daughter would have been unable to leave the store without them if she saw that.

Add some of the electrolytes to their water as well. At this point, they need all the energy they can get. Wouldn't hurt to offer them some egg yolk right by them as well so they don't have to expend energy to move in order to eat it. Poor little things! Good for you for rescuing them. My daughter would have been unable to leave the store without them if she saw that.

Thank you for the advice and kind words!

Thankfully they're doing much better today. They're peeping away and have been eating, drinking and pooping normally. They were very calm and affectionate when I checked over their wounds this morning...I think they're happy to be out of there!
smile.png

Last edited:
Love to hear that! I hate it when the hen pecking starts. We had a rooster that was supposed to be with one other rooster and the rest hens. Got them from a friend whose tiny kiddos had received them as a present, and the baby boy ended up in the hospital with salmonella poisoning. Yikes! We took them just to get the chicks out of that house for them. But poor Old Silver was getting treated horribly and there was nowhere to run. I finally pulled him (they had gone to a farm by then) and put him over the fence into a huge flock, and he ran that barnyard perfectly. He was the Best. Rooster. Ever!!! Gave his life saving the flock from some predator, but pulling him out was the best choice we made. Ended up selling all but one of the other roosters. Beauregard inherited top dog honors from Old Silver but never held a candle to him in running the flock. I hope these two turn out to be the best hens ever. LOL Do you have a flock that you intend to introduce them to after they have healed?

I love that story, what a rooster! I hope the little boy recovered ok, how scary.

I have 6 hens and 6 ducks living outside, and four more pullets that are only a week or so older than these two inside. Once their skin is healed up, I'm planning on moving them into the brooder with the indoor girls, and then introducing that group of 6 to the others in a few weeks.

These two seem very sweet, so I'm hoping they'll team up with my two Buff Orpingtons to avoid being bullied.

Is there a place that these two sweeties can see/be seen and hear/be heard by the other four now while they heal? I know it is silly, but now I'm attached to them through your story. I never do that. LOL But I am a sucker for hurt critters. So glad you had the heart to help them out.
jumpy.gif

What a great idea! The brooders were on opposite sides of my living room, so they could hear each other but not see each other. I re-organized and now they can see each other. :)

Thanks for all of the advice and kind words! You've been very helpful.
smile.png

Here are a couple pics of the little cuties:

Back
Top Bottom