Bought two new peachicks (pic)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Ky306, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Ky306

Ky306 In the Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    Hi
    I just bought two baby peachicks today. Never had peacocks/hens before, so this is rather new, I'm learning as much as I can!
    So anywho, I believe they are India Blue? I looked at pics of baby peafowl and though they were sold as day-old chicks, I think they are closer to about a week old, yes?
    A picture. They look rather scared lol, I took this just after putting them in the cage so they are just a bit nervous! Also, any way to tell their sex at this age? I read somewhere that even at a few days old you can sex them by their primary feathers...
    [​IMG]

Any advice I should know, just basic info I need to know? That would be great. I've already researched a lot but info straight from experienced owners would be even better. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    How cute! I cannot help but Love your picture!

3. featherhead

featherhead Songster

Feb 1, 2008
    Kentucky, USA
    Congratulations! There's a sticky at the top of the page, describing basic care. In a nutshell, they are raised much like baby chickens with medicated starter feed and a heat lamp for the first few weeks. Enjoy!

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    So cute! Good luck with them. Can't help you with the sexing; I had all four of mine wrong, lol - thought I had all boys & they were all girls !

5. konopswj

konopswj In the Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    Can I ask where you got your day old chicks? Was it locally or someplace online? I'm looking for some is why I ask.

Thanks,
    Walter

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

So cute! And congrats to you on the new babies! [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not sure of their color (never seen a baby peachick that little!) but they are way too young to sex. If they are IB you should be able to tell sexes by 8-10 weeks.

8. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Congratulations! I love ours. Unbelievable personalities. [​IMG]

9. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:I think they are more delicate than chicks at the beginning, but I have not had as much experience as some on here. Good luck and enjoy.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I think they are more delicate than chicks at the beginning, but I have not had as much experience as some on here. Good luck and enjoy.

You are both correct. They are raised much the same as chicken chicks but they are more delicate. Many breeders prefer not to even put peafowl on the ground until at least 4 months old so their immune systems are built up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: