Bought two new peachicks (pic)

Ky306

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
Hi
I just bought two baby peachicks today. Never had peacocks/hens before, so this is rather new, I'm learning as much as I can!
So anywho, I believe they are India Blue? I looked at pics of baby peafowl and though they were sold as day-old chicks, I think they are closer to about a week old, yes?
A picture. They look rather scared lol, I took this just after putting them in the cage so they are just a bit nervous! Also, any way to tell their sex at this age? I read somewhere that even at a few days old you can sex them by their primary feathers...
PIC_8306.jpg

Any advice I should know, just basic info I need to know? That would be great. I've already researched a lot but info straight from experienced owners would be even better. Thanks!
smile.png

Congratulations! There's a sticky at the top of the page, describing basic care. In a nutshell, they are raised much like baby chickens with medicated starter feed and a heat lamp for the first few weeks. Enjoy!

I'm not sure of their color (never seen a baby peachick that little!) but they are way too young to sex. If they are IB you should be able to tell sexes by 8-10 weeks.

Quote:
I think they are more delicate than chicks at the beginning, but I have not had as much experience as some on here. Good luck and enjoy.

You are both correct. They are raised much the same as chicken chicks but they are more delicate. Many breeders prefer not to even put peafowl on the ground until at least 4 months old so their immune systems are built up.

Back
Top Bottom