Boulder, CO Reformed Urbanite

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StilettoGardner, Jul 16, 2010.

1. StilettoGardner

StilettoGardner New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    Hello, Chicken Friends!

I recently moved to Boulder, Colorado after spending five years working in high-fashion retail and living in a loft in downtown Denver. While it took a little while to adjust to the Boulder pace (and the deer wandering through my yard), I'm finally settled in!

I grew up in the country in Washington State, so I have some experience with gardening and hobby agriculture, but it's been many years. This Spring, I built a terraced garden out of recovered flagstone and natural rock, and rediscovered the joy of playing in the dirt. Now I'm hooked! Fitness and healthful eating and have always been very important to me, so I've been educating myself on sustainable agriculture and diet. Raising my own chickens just makes sense!

When I began mentioning to friends and family that I was considering constructing a coop and raising a few hens, I received reactions that varied from enthusiastic (that was my hobby farm parents) to patronizing dismissal. Mostly, though, I just heard a lot of jokes regarding the logistics of tending to my flock whilst teetering in Jimmy Choo's. That's OK; they won't tease once they're enjoying my tasty, home-grown eggs!

I'm sure I'll be asking for a lot of advice, so I hope all you Chicken Experts are prepared for a barrage of newbie questions!

Thanks!

2. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from Virginia!

3. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Welcome!

Make sure you check out the Colorado thread!

4. MCCmomof3

MCCmomof3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    WA
    Definately don't defile the Choo's or the Blahnicks! But definitely enjoy the chickees! [​IMG] from Western Washington!

5. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

What a great experience you are having. I think hens are so much more interesting than Jimmy Choos and ever so much more comfortable to be with! Best of luck! [​IMG]

6. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:Are you in the city limits and is poultry allowed in Boulder? Welcome

8. jessicalove

jessicalove New Egg

Mar 2, 2013
    hey i live in boulder too...you posted this quite some time ago but if you're still in the chicken game say hello...i live in n boulder and just got my first coop and chicks. xo Jess

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. bsmartlse

bsmartlse New Egg

Jun 4, 2013
    Hello! I just joined the "BYC" website, and am a little confused about Boulder, CO laws regarding BYC. I live a couple miles south of the campus near Table Mesa and Broadway. Could anyone point me in the right direction and/or let me know if having BYC is possible? I'd also love to meet anyone in Boulder who currently has BYC! Thanks guys.

-Brian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by