Bound Egg? or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ethlin, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Ethlin

Ethlin New Egg

Nov 15, 2016
    Sheesh never a dull moment, my other one dies from accidental rat poison, now I have another issue. Here is the story, I have a couple brahmas (Just in case the breed matters) and one of them looked in bad shape this morning, there wasn't anything physically wrong with from apperance, but she was slow and tired. It was quite cold out so I decided to put her inside where it was warm just to be sure it wasn't that, I checked back maybe 30 minutes later. She still was not well and I noticed the was squatting like she was trying to lay and egg or go poop. I obviously figured it was one of those so I felt her lower back and it was indeed swollen.

The odd thing is that she hasn't laid eggs in several months, because winter is coming I figured she stopped like some of them do during the winter, so it seems kind of odd she would have one right now (If so maybe the sudden egg caused it?), so I was thinking it was the other issue, but there is nothing visibly wrong with her behind so it must be inside. This afternoon I am going to take the bound egg measures and hope it's that, but if not (Since a random egg after several months is odd) what else could it be?

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Overrun With Chickens

She probably hasn't laid an egg for awhile since it is molting season. They'll typically take a break and devote as much protein as they have to feather regrowth. After they come out of a molt, they have to get back in the swing of things, and large or off-colored eggs aren't unusual. She sounds like she is definnitely egg-bound. If you've tried all the common measures, then try to get some liquid calcium in her. Muscles need calcium to function, so giving them that can give them the boost they need to get the egg laid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by