bourban turkey babies

bensteph821

Songster
8 Years
Jun 15, 2011
Easton Pennsylvania
Can anyone tell me how you can tell a baby turkeys sex?
roll.png

I use several methods to include doing hen calls...may sound funny, but even at a young age the boys will still react. With bourban's, you may be ableto tell by week 3 who is who. The boy's snood will be slightly larger, legs a little thicker and by then, they start to grow just a slight bigger.

We got to see something really cool today. We hatched out ten bronze and one bourbon red friday and sunday we sold all of our month old turkeys except one bourbon red. We put the 1 month old bourbon red in with the 11 babies worried about whether he would hurt them either accidentally or on purpose so we watched them. The babies all ran to him and got under him( i am saying him but really i have no idea the sex) and he sort of opens his wings a little sometimes and calls them to him. Earlier today our bulldog Bella (my avatar) went in the spare bedroom where we keep the babies and she saw them and barked.they are in a wire cage on a table so she cant reach them so there is no danger but the big bourban called the babies to him and sort of ruffled its feathers at Bella. We arw new to turkeys but to us it looked like a defensive sort of posture. We both thought it was cool for him to do that even though he was just a month old baby turkey himself.

thanks everyone...i have only one turkey, so can not compare size of anything to another.. turkey calls?? lol like what exactly? gobble gobble hahhhaaaaa....Thats very cute mailman! amazing how animals are!

Quote:
That is very cool

bensteph821, you may have to wait a couple of months before you can tell the sex. I haven't a clue other then waiting. Sorry.

Quote:
Not sure if anyone helped you with this but if you look above at the blue bar that says: Index User list Rules.... etc.... you will see one that says UPLOADS... click that and it will take you to the uploads page to upload your pictures to. At that page you will see on the lower left side the FILE and Browse.... click the browse to access you computer pics and then upload the picture you want. It will appear to the right of that page with two links below it: thumb and image.... right click on the link you'd like to post and then click copy.

You will then 'paste' that link in the message box..... wallah, picture appears.
smile.png

Hope that helps.
~Tammy

Back
Top Bottom