Bourbon Red egg trade in spring?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by meriruka, Dec 10, 2010.

1. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Just sort of throwing this out there to see.......

I have a tom from this year's hatch that is so pretty & sweet I can't part with him. I'd like to hatch some unrelated hens for him to love. I know I will need to put him in another pen in spring because he will fight with his dad. I plan to keep him in with one or two of his grown sisters (but not hatch their eggs) until the new poults are big enough to go in with him.

That said, I was wondering if anyone had some breeder quality eggs that they would like to trade in spring for some of mine.
    My birds came from a breeder in SW VA

Anyone interested?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I have a tom and 4 hens and I would love to trade some with you if you would like. Mine are only 6 months old right now but I can send you some pics if you would like.

Edited to add pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    That would be great!
    Mine laid eggs for the first time this spring and even though they went broody, they kept smooshing eggs because they were constantly stealing them from each other. Then the tom went broody and kept smooshing them - I was constantly cleaning egg off him. I ended up incubating everything. This year I will try to set up nesting places that will only fit one hen.
    I'll try to put up some hen pics - when I go out with the camera the boys show off & look so pretty I end up with all tom pics.
    Here's Miss Houdini - I think she found out what folks eat during the holidays......
    [​IMG]

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be glad to swap some Bourbon eggs with you next spring. My hen came from Steve though her Tom is a hatchery bird. The babies they laid this year are all very, very nice looking and oddly we had twice as many hens as Toms hatch out so we'll be inundated with eggs next year.

5. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    I'll be sure & PM you both after the holidays!
    It's going to be 14 tonight but the wind chill will make it below 0.
    Anyone know how much cold turkeys can stand? Mine are in a barn that I've made as draft free as I can, but I'm still worried about the cold. This kind of weather is unusual for us....

6. natrgatr

natrgatr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Columbia City, IN
    Mine slept on the coop roof again here in northeast Indiana. It was 13 deg with windchills to -11. They didn't seem to mind.

7. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    That's good to know!

8. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    I don't have much confidence in the hatch success with shipped eggs but I am willing to give egg swapping a shot with you all. I have Bourbon Reds and Royal Palms and am willing to swap some eggs from either breed this spring.

9. SED

SED Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    North West Alabama
    I am looking forward to it. Would love to trade for some other breeds also. I have a pair of Eastern Wilds and my Bourbon Reds.

10. meriruka

Oct 18, 2007
    This'll be fun.
    Struttn1, I agree shipped eggs don't always get the best results but it's probably better than trying to ship poults - it's hard enough to keep them from comitting suicide in the brooder.......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by