Bourbon Red gender?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by The new chick 2, Sep 7, 2009.

1. The new chick 2

The new chick 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Western New York
    Looking for help with the gender.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    How old are they? Comparing them to mine, they all look to be hens if they are 4 mos at least. Toms will have black tips on their wing feathers. You will notice a body size difference between a tom and hen. I have a pair named Bourbon and Scotch.
    We love 'em!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think those are too young to tell. Just for fun, and to totally drive yourself nuts, put different color zip ties on their feet right now, and commit to paper what gender you think each one is. I swear you will change you mind five times on each bird in the next two weeks!

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    They are a bit young to tell just by looking at a picture but the poult in the last pic looks like its dark feathers that are coming in have black tips and that could be a sign it is a tom.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The hens will have white lacing on their chest and the toms will have black lacing.

Here is a big hen, see the white lacing on her chest.

[​IMG]

You can also look for size differences between them. The toms will have thicker legs and bigger snoods. How old are yours? 3 to 4 months old?

Sharon

6. The new chick 2

The new chick 2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Western New York
    I think they are about 3 months old. Thanks for all the help and information.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

The Bourbons seem to develop their snoods and wattles much faster than other breeds or at least that's my observation and I haven't had EVERY breed of turkey so I could be WAY wrong. Anyway, you should start to notice just shortly now if you have any Toms because that snood will start to lay over and creep down their beak while the hens' snoods won't grow appreciably.

8. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My guess is 3 toms. Just instinct cuz they look so much like my toms and their poses are a bit on the "aggressive" side (its subtle) and their legs look rather stout. My hen's legs are very slender at that age. Also, yours' neck-wattles are already developed (it would be smaller on a hen that age).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by