Bourbon Red pipping - day 29, webcam!!!

GJ_Kate

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Grand Junction
So today is day 28 for 2 of my 4 BR eggs. The other two are on day 26 (I know now, but I didn't know when I set them). Nothing has happened really. DH thinks he saw one rock a little bit this morning. Then he thought he saw a pip on the underside of one, but not well enough to know for sure.
Well I couldn't stand it anymore, not knowing if they're even still alive. So I quickly and I mean quickly grabbed then one by one to candle for movement just a min ago. They each moved just a tad, but I noticed they haven't even pipped into the air sack that I can tell. If they've pipped into that, wouldn't you not be able to see that clear area anymore? How late have yours successfully hatched?
Don't worry, I'm getting out of the house here in a min for the rest of the evening so I won't be able to brood over it too much, but it is KILLING me!!!
barnie.gif

UPDATE: 2 small cracks/pips put a webcam on it for some friends across town, but nothing much to talk about yet. The egg on the left had a X shaped pip since at least 3am last night (yes I am insane, why do you ask?). It didn't do anything so I was starting to worry and I candled it and picked at the crack this afternoon. The egg on the right just got the V shaped crack within the past hour or so.

Should I be worried that they haven't broken through the membrane???

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chicken-and-turkey-hatching

Changed the webcam site. This one is correct now.

Last edited:
Hi, I see this was posted yesterday. How are things going today? I have 22 turkey eggs in incubator but it is only day 7. Is there any pipping? I've hatched out chicken eggs so we'll see how this goes. Good luck.

Well, of the 2 BR eggs that were supposed to hatch yesterday, I have partial pips on both of them.
celebrate.gif
They both have the shell cracked, but not the membrane.
Can anyone tell me how long to wait? Shouldn't it have broken through the membrane yet? Should I help?
Help me, cause I'm going insane!!!
he.gif
:barnie

cracking and cheeping is good. Just be patient and wait. ( I KNOW its NOT what you wanted to hear!
tongue.png
)
keys
I just hatched my first goose and it took over 24 hours from first pip to hatch, but I've heard it can be up to 2 whole days. So I'm sure Turkeys are similar.... I'll give you the advice I was given:

Sit on your hands and Don't open the bator! :)

As long as you hear noise and see progress (however minute) You are safe to wait and watch!

Good Luck!

btw... I have 6-8 turkey eggs in my bator too, and one has pipped tonight, so I'll be waiting and watching WITH YOU!

Plus I put 8 more under a broody goose - * NOTE TO SELF: Remove babies before she tries to take them swimming......LOL!!!
lau.gif

How is your little poult doing? Are there any more out? I took my peeps out and put them in a box with a red light and temp was 95*. I worried too about them touching the heating element. That really hurts when you touch it. Good luck.

I should've looked at your webcam. They are adorable. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Well we now have 2 poults!!!
love.gif
They are in a little make shift brooder in the kitchen (rubbermade) before they go out to the stocktank in the garage. The first one hatched last night at 8:30pm and then the second one hatched about 10 minutes AFTER me and the kids left for school this morning.....
barnie.gif

I still have 2 more eggs in the bator since I set them on March 1 and March 2.... Trust me, won't make that mistake again!!! Well there are no pips, so I candled a bit ago when I had to add more water. The one set on 3/1 isn't moving...
hit.gif
The one from 3/2 is doing fine, might even be pipped into the air sack. I put them both back, hopefully it was just "sleeping"??
fl.gif

I changed the webcam address because I was having problems with it "timing out". It would look like it was still working, but when you'd log on to see it, wasn't available. I'm trying to find a good site so I can use it when my classroom chicks hatch.

If you want to see the poults in the brooder, they are at: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chicken-and-turkey-hatching

Any
input about how you think they are doing is welcome!!!!! I hope they are drinking enough. I tried to give them some sugar water, didn't quite know "how". I have the waterer elevated a bit so they hopefully won't fall asleep into it. let me know!!!!!!

Looks good to me. Do you have a white bulb in your brooder? Do you know the temperature? It should be 95* to start out. You probably know all of that. I just read all I could before hatching peeps last year and it is mostly trial and error. Some people put marbles in the waterer for the poults to peck at - I did see your little ones drinking when I was watching them.

I have been candling the turkey eggs I have set, looks like one died already. Saw a blood ring. They are only on day 8 - really feel bad about loosing one but there's nothing we can do about it.

It looks like you are doing a great job as a turkey mom.

Back
Top Bottom