Bourbon Red Poult Sexing

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by DUccleDude, Mar 25, 2010.

1. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    Is there any way to tell a hen from a tom at an early age? We are getting some poults and we already have 2 toms. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks;)

2. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Do you know how to vent sex them or know anyone who can do it for you?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Sometimes I can tell by the size of the snood when they are hatched. The males often seem to be thicker and more button like where the females tend to have thinner, pointer snoods........ but it's still a guess.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Last year I needed three hens, but I had to choose when they were still soaking wet. I was torqued because I thought I would have more time to choose my poults, but she said no, choose now. I have people waiting for the rest. (they hatched on Father's Day) Well, I just chose the ones with the most slender shanks and the smallest, narrowest heads and i wound up with three little hen poults! Mighta been dumb luck, but that's my story and I'm... s-s-sttttickin To it!

5. littledel

littledel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Russellville, Arkansas
    Hard to tell at an early age. I like the idea of checking for thin shanks and thinner heads for the females. Just sounds reasonable. But do not go by watching them strut. All turkeys will strut, I had some that strutted at 1-2 months old. There were 9 poults and only 3 were hens, but all of them strutted.

6. kingkrab89

kingkrab89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2010
    indiana
    when i bought my midget whites at a week old i could stick my hand in the brooder and he would show and the broad breasteds i have now are doin it to. i dnt know if its just certain breeds but thats what i do.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the slender shanks and heads theory. We named our Bourbons the day they hatched but not even a couple of days later I noticed that Rosie had much thicker legs than Jefferson did. Sure enough Rosie is my Tom and Jefferson is my beautiful hen.

8. turkey guru

turkey guru Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    I take the poult toss it in the air, heads are boys,tails are girls its easy tom!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by