1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bourbon Red + Royal Palm = ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Omniskies, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I know that when you cross a Bronze and a Royal Palm you get the Calico coloring (even if it doesn't breed 100% true). Is there an unofficial color that has been named for a Bourbon Red tom crossed with Royal Palm hens?

We lost our Royal Palm tom over the winter so we decided to put his hens in with our Bourbon Red flock this year. The eggs are in the incubator now and I'd love to know what we may get from the cross. The parents are all purebreds of their variety.

Thanks.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Friends of ours have these, they are realy pretty turkeys. They ended up being a blondish & white base color with some of the blacktips on feathers like the palms, and some red accents.

3. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I had a few that a friend gave me (I think they were a bourbon palm cross). They looked like palms with reddish splashes. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of one of them...

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Neighbor of mine hatched bourbon red x royal palms a while ago, said they look like big female ringnecks.

I dont know though, I havent hatched any yet.

5. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    I have some new poults that are Red Bourbon x Narragansett. They look like little chipmunks right now, but I am anxiously awaiting the outcome!!

6. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Bourbon x Narry makes for a narry colored bird with a bit more red/brown going on in the feathers. The hens tend to be narry colored and the toms tend to be bronze. Out of all the poults I've hatched so far the sexlinking thing seems to be holding true.

Haven't hatched any eggs from the palm hens yet, just got them this spring but there are two hens sitting on eggs.

7. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    It's funny you should say that, because out of 4 poults, 3 look chipmunk-y (which I assume will turn out more narry) and one is very dark (Which may be a male 'bronze' color). I will test your sex-link theory, and keep you posted![​IMG]

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    It sounds like an exotic cocktail.

9. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks to my tardiness of seperating my lone Royal Palm gobbler from the Bourbons I have several Royal Palm/Bourbon Red cross Poults with a bunch more on the way. They look just like purebred Bourbons at first until the telltale white with black tip feathering starts showing up.

If anyone has a picture of mature Royal Palm/Bourbon crosses I would really like to see it posted.

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I finally found my pics of the palm/bourbon hen that I had, but they were taken from too far away. I did find this picture from Porter Farms website, my bird was similar but not as much red.
    http://www.porterturkeys.com/redpalm.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by