Bourbon Red Toms??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Crazycomb, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I have two Bourbon Red turkeys. I am beginning to believe they are both Toms. They are approximately 12 weeks old now. One is larger than the other but other than that, they look very much alike. I was really hoping to have one hen and one tom [​IMG] Can any of you turkey experts help me out on sexing them?
    [​IMG]

2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    They both look like Toms to me

3. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    Yeah. I am pretty sure too. I guess I just don't want to admit it to myself! On the search for a bourbon hen

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I can't really tell from that picture. The easy way to tell is that the tom will have dark margins on the breast feathers and the hen will have light margins. This is true for almost all colors of turkey.

5. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I will check that out! Thanks

6. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    I have been studying them both very closely for the last week. All of the feathers are identical on both. One of them I am sure is a male. I have heard him gooble three times and this morning I caught him strutting. Last week I thought I may have a tom and a hen. Today I am leaning toward two toms [​IMG]

7. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    If you could post a close up shot of their head, it would be pretty easy to tell! Is the snood long, or short? They do look like toms from the picture!
    I just realized that clicking on the picture makes it larger. I am now 99% sure they are toms. They should have started strutting several weeks ago, my heritage tom turkeys that are now 8 weeks old, have been strutting for at least 4 weeks. The other day one mounted an 8 week old Blue Slate hen for a minute of so, then strutted around for 20 minutes or more like he had conquered the world!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  8. Crazycomb

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    The first picture is of the one that I am sure is a Tom. The second picture is the one in question. Thanks for your help! I am leaning towards toms on both but the one in the first picture is the only one who struts and the only one that goobles. They were hatched on the same day. The tom in the first photo is a little bit larger than the other turkey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I totally agree with your assessment! I am 99% sure they are both Toms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by