Bourbon Red Turkeys AKA Animal Control (PICS AND STORY INCLUDED)

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kuntrygirl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I always knew that my turkeys were a group of renegade cops but I never knew that they would take it to this level.

Well, this is my story.....................

Yesterday when I was home doing the chores in the chicken yard, I opened the guinea pen and stepped inside. As I was turning around to close the door, one of my guineas ran pass me and out of the guinea pen into the chicken yard. I stepped out of the guinea pen to see if I could get it to go back into the guinea pen. Well, that didn't work. The guinea took off and flew about 1/2 mile into the open field across the street. This guinea flew higher than my muscovy ducks. I was speechless. I immediately panicked. As I secured the guinea pen, I ran towards the field. Well, I look back and I see my turkey gang running behind me. I assumed that they saw the entire thing (NOSEY turkeys) and was running to see what was going on. Well, I made it over to the field and stopped not to scare the guinea away. Well my turkeys ran pass me and kept running towards the guinea. I just knew that the guinea would fly off again. The turkeys surrounded the guinea and wouldn't let the guinea out of the circle. I had no idea what was about to happen, so I ran back to the house to get the camera to get pics because I knew that this was going to be a good story to tell. I knew that the turkeys would not attack and kill the guinea because they are all talk (bunch of school yard bullies is what they are) and no action. I got the camera and ran back outside. By the time I got the camera and made it back outside, the guinea AND turkeys were back in the yard, so I assume the turkeys herded the guinea back into the yard. Well, the guinea tried to run off. This is when I started taking pics.

Below is the rest of the story with PICS. The pics tell it all.

And the chase begins

Onlookers wondering what in the world is going on.
    [​IMG]

Onlookers now know what is going on and are running for dear life. They want no part of this. Notice the ducks in background running for dear life.
    [​IMG]

A new group has tagged up and in the ring to continue the chase.
    [​IMG]

Turkeys surrounding the guinea to run it into the chicken yard.
    [​IMG]

Turkeys have herded the guinea into the chicken yard and ran it into a corner.
    [​IMG]

During the taking of these next 5 pictures, there is a lot of sounds, noises, screeching, gobbling and hearing every other sound you can imagine. It was a lot of back and forth as the turkeys took turns in the scare. The guinea is realizing that it has been caught and the chase is up. He is BUSTED.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the defense setup that got the guinea caught. Notice the turkey on the left at the bottom sneaking around to fill that hole to secure the circle so that the guinea can't get out.
    [​IMG]

Guinea Caught
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer: No animals were hurt in the taping of this video or taking of these pics. [​IMG]

I have to admit that I would have NEVER caught that guinea without those turkeys. I'm serious!!!! There would have been no way. That guinea would have continued to fly into the woods until it was long gone. My guineas ARE NOT tame. They are VERY WILD. The turkeys went into the open field and circled the guinea, brought it back home, chased him down until he was too tired to fly again, cornered him and then I stepped in with a net to catch him. They must know it's close to Thanksgiving and afraid that they will get cut from the team (literally) [​IMG]. Just joking. I don't eat my turkeys. This bunch are definitely keepers!

I LOVE my turkeys. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I hope that you enjoyed my Turkey story. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That is SO FUNNY! I enjoyed your story!

My turkeys are funny like that....They do seem to run after me and watch my every move. (Makes my husband uneasy, but it makes me laugh!) LOL

Love the pics!

Sharon

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

That is hilarious!

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    great story [​IMG]

5. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    Thats amazing ! all on there own , there has to be some sort of attacement with them ?

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I love it! I've got 3 turkeys that are 4 months old. I can relate when you say how nosy they are. Although I'm pretty sure mine are nowhere near as smart as yours lol

7. bigshawn

bigshawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    To funny, I hope to have some BBR's I hope they are as helpfull as yours............

8. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    That is so awesome! Give those turkeys a treat from me!

9. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    [​IMG] I love it! Too hilarious!

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Funny story! Don't worry so much if they get out. If you raised them there then they will be back. I have one get out from time to time and after a while of being out, I find them doing everything they can do to get back in. Even when I didn't feel like trying to catch them, I wait until dark and they have always been roosting on top of their pen. I do have about 15 freerange guineas and they really don't like it when one of my penned guineas get out. I do love to watch the fly!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by