Bourbon Reds - Boys or Girls?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by 1littlefarmer, Feb 28, 2013.

1. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hi all,
    I bought a "mating pair" of Bourbon Reds in November (these are my first turkeys) and have been all over the place in trying to figure out the gender of each one. I have gone back and forth as to which is the boy or girl or they're both boys or both girls... I am currently of the opinion they are both girls.

They were hatched around September and these pictures we're taken today. They both fan their tail feathers but the big one's fan is all white and the feathers are the same length while the littler one has red feathers on the side of the fan and longer white feathers in the middle. My current female opinion is based on:
    They are 5 months + and they have little snoods
    I couldn't find a beard on either one
    Their feathers appear to be lighter along the edge vs. the darker that I believe males are supposed to be.

What do y'all think? Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy, it was just starting to get dark...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    By the feathers going up the back of the heads, I would say both are hens, but I haven't had Bourbon Reds, so maybe someone like Frank or Countrygirl will chime in here!

1 person likes this.
  3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

That first pic where you see both of the turkeys from behind and they BOTH have hair/feathers going up the back of their necks? That tells me that you probably have a very nice set of Bourbon hens. I could tell you for sure if I had a pic of their chests because the girlies will have white lacing on their breast feathers while the boys will have black lacing.

1 person likes this.
  4. 1littlefarmer

1littlefarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Thank you, that's what I thought. I'm pretty sure they have the white lacing and not the black, too.

5. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    BTW, Very pretty turkeys! [​IMG]

6. wolfie115

wolfie115 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Judging by the feathers up the neck I would say you've got a pair of pretty red ladies. :) I have a lovely tom that I would love to get some girls for. XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by