Bourbons or Bronze?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by fla_native, Dec 4, 2009.

1. fla_native

fla_native Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Haines City Fla
    I have a question for yall........

I have raised Bourbons in the past and I loved them. Very friendly, large, and yes, tasty!
    We are now planning on getting back into turkeys and wanted to get some feedback on your preferences.
    How does the standard Bronze compare to the Bourbons? Size? personality?
    We might even try the Spanish Blacks, Any opinions on those?

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

The Bronze are larger than the BR's. The toms are probably 10 pounds heavier and taller. Our Bronze toms stand about waist high. They are calm natured like the BR's but not as curious.

Steve in NC

3. fla_native

fla_native Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Haines City Fla
    Steve, if you were ever forced to cut back to just one breed of turkey which would you choose? The Bourbon or the Bronze?
    Also, in your opinion, which of the two breeds are better foragers? Or are they both pretty much the same in that respect?

Edited to add.... What about fertility? Do the standard bronze have any issues in that dept ?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

They are about the same as foragers. If I had to chose one it would be the Bourbon Red - better taste and we really like that they are so curious. Ours follow you around to see what you are doing, half the time they are under foot trying to trip you . [​IMG]

Steve

5. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I have blacks.....they are generally good natured and curious. Like to stick their beak into everything to see what you're doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by