1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bout had a heart attack, who else got a lot of snow in/on there pens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KansasKid, Feb 1, 2011.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Went out this morning and couldn't get the door open, had to go out the back door, there were snow drifts at my knees and when i got to my pen i couldn't see but 1 mandarin pair and about killed myself, then i pryed open the door and luckily found them in the duck hut i put together last night. I'll post some pictures of what it looks like to give you the image i had when i first walked up.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Save yourself from heart attack, never mind the ducks.

What a drama.

3. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    i was a long ways from a heart attack just didn't know what i would do if i lost that amount of birds ($)

4. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    When we know of snow coming, we stay up all night..

1) to make sure the net doesn't cave in
    2) to keep the door from being where it can't open...

But so far even with the 2 big snowfalls we have had we have been lucky and the ducks seem to stay in the water or underneath the big platform!

The last snow we had where we litterly stayed up to almost dawn the ducks were loving it, kind of playing in it!!

They will be okay.. But I so understand your worry!!

5. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I was up till 3 last night waiting for the first bit of snow to see if i was gonna stick to my net, luckily nothing did. What got me this morning was i found the rest in the duck hut but thought i lost my teal hen and looked for a good 15 minutes in all the boxes and finally dug and found her underneath the old christmas tree, luckily still alive.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kangababy, when I used to raise ringnecks for sale, I usd to do the same thing. All night long would be spent knocking snow off of pens. I don't miss that.[​IMG]

7. sandcat

sandcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    wow you must get really heavy snow there, hope all works out ok

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We have quite a bit of snow on the pens - as it turns out, with such a small flock of runners, due to the cold some time back I moved them into their emergency shelter (a very cushy shelter, by the way). I am so glad I did that!

Their pen is now surrounded by three to five feet of snow. It's holding up very nicely! But getting to it is becoming a challenge. Forget the electric fence - when the snow melts I will set it up again.

I started shoveling a path up from the back garden to their day pen, hoping I could get it cleaned out so they could romp around with a little less direct supervision. Well, that was 16 inches of snow and a few days ago.

Today we're getting snow, tonight snow, tomorrow snow and freezing rain.

But, hey, it's not that bad. A friend just pointed out an article about how much it snowed here in 1717 - several feet - so, what's a few feet?

I feel for those with large numbers of ducks. Wow, I pray you will find strength and just pace yourself and that everybody will be fine once this is just a memory.

Something to design for, perhaps? I have been thinking how I can modify the layout so this works a little better. But I think when it's all said and done, I just need to eat my spinach and keep at it!

Right now I am taking a warm-up, dry-off break from raking a few feet of snow off the roof before the rains come tomorrow.

9. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    One of the many snow drifts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kangababy

kangababy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Seriously.. ui have around 150 birds and bringing them in would not be feasiable!! They loved the snow though..

The dabblers thought it was just like mud and played in it!! It was fun to watch them!!

Hopefully no more snow for us this year...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by