Bow leg

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
My newest chick seems to have one leg that bows out
She walks fine, does everything a young should , eating, drinking,. Scratching at her food etc

I hatched her, i had to help her hatch actually
I had a hobble on her for the first 2days as it seemed like she had a slight splay

Is this something I can correct
I worry because I had to have my barred rock put to sleep a few months back because he eventually couldn't walk his hips bowed out, He had very crooked toes and up with joint issues

20191003_092948.jpg

My newest chick seems to have one leg that bows out
She walks fine...I hatched her...worry because I had to have my barred rock put to sleep a few months back because he eventually couldn't walk his hips bowed out, He had very crooked toes and up with joint issues

View attachment 1924291
Cutie pie!

So she would not be related to the BR you put down correct? Just curious, did you also hatch him - was he from breeding of your own, purchased eggs, etc.?
The bowing of the leg might be a leg bone deformity, it's hard to know. Leg deformities can be caused by a number of thing from parent stock nutrition to genetics.

Is there any swelling of the joint?

I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a week or so - this may not "fix" the leg, but B-vitamins (especially B2 Riboflavin) are good for leg health.

Cutie pie!

So she would not be related to the BR you put down correct? Just curious, did you also hatch him - was he from breeding of your own, purchased eggs, etc.?
The bowing of the leg might be a leg bone deformity, it's hard to know. Leg deformities can be caused by a number of thing from parent stock nutrition to genetics.

Is there any swelling of the joint?

I would give her 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a week or so - this may not "fix" the leg, but B-vitamins (especially B2 Riboflavin) are good for leg health.

She is from my own hen and roo. Who are in great health Not related to my barred rock
She did take a long time to get out of her shell after she unzipped it, so long I finally helped her out

No swollen joints, doesn't seem to be painful or affecting her, she has a slight limp because her leg bows in making that leg shorter)

I have no issues raising a special needs chicken will love her just the same
Just want to avoid any future pain , am hoping this is something she can live with

I will take your advice
Thank you so much

I have a light brahma pullet with a bowed/twisted leg. We got her as a young chick, so I assume she hatched with it. She gets around fine, though she does hobble. She seems healthy though! If a chick with a let/foot issue is only several hours old, you can usually "fix" their issue while their bones are still hardening. Maybe try a splint?

She is from my own hen and roo. Who are in great health Not related to my barred rock
She did take a long time to get out of her shell after she unzipped it, so long I finally helped her out

No swollen joints, doesn't seem to be painful or affecting her, she has a slight limp because her leg bows in making that leg shorter)

I have no issues raising a special needs chicken will love her just the same
Just want to avoid any future pain , am hoping this is something she can live with

I will take your advice
Thank you so much
I hope she is able to adjust with the leg. Sometimes leg issues get worse as they get older and gain weight.

Your adults may be healthy and getting all the nutrition they need. When I mention parent stock nutrition - there could be a lack of vitamins/minerals, etc. in the yolk - the yolk is what provides "nutrition" for the embryo in the egg (development) so, it still could be due to nutrient deficiency.

Back
Top Bottom