Bowed legs, Niacin deficiency

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Edenduck, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Edenduck

Edenduck Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    Hello, one of my ducklings have a niacin deficiency, she is 4 weeks old now and her leg bowing is quite severe. At first I thought she might have a minor injury that would heal its self but over time it worsened and you can now see the hips majorly sticking out, she is constantly tripping over and finds it difficult to stand. I'm just worried it's too late to help her, what can I do?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    It's definitely not too late. Supplement her feed or water with extra niacin now and the issue should begin to correct itself. I also suggest lots of swim time in warm water. It will help her use and build her muscles without putting any strain on her legs or hips.

1 person likes this.
  5. Edenduck

Edenduck Just Hatched

Nov 26, 2016
    Thank you, I have been letting her swim in Epsom salts every day for the past 3 days and she seems quite happy when in the water, I have her under a heat lamp in my room since the others are outside but it seems she's become quite agitated, I've been using pure niacin extract in her food and water but I have ordered some brewers yeast so I can mix some food with it and hopefully put her back with her siblings, I think all this time apart is whats making her vicious

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Edenduck be careful letting her swim in ES water if she drinks it it can make her have runny poo. ES is also a laxative. You can use a bucket and soak her legs in ES and warm water holding on to her. but other wise i just let her have warm bath with out the ES. The warm water baths will really help strengthen her leg muscles.

You might consider bringing in one of the ducklings to keep her company while she is inside. They do so much better when they have one of their own with them. You can give everyone the niacin and brewers yeast too.

Sure hope you see some improvement soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I agree with all of this.

8. The Pinto Pony

The Pinto Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2014
    Indiana
    I agree with Miss Lydia the most, good luck! I hope she gets better soon!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by