Bowl of water for humidity, or will chicks drown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IcedMochaChick, Feb 27, 2009.

1. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    I have 11 serama eggs in the bator on day 15 now. I plan to take them off the turner on day 17, just to be safe. I've heard a lot of people have them hatch on day 19. So, my question is, can I put a bowl of water on top of the screen with them to increase the humidity? I don't want any chicks drowning, but it's really hard to keep the humidity up in there. I have the bottom reservoirs full and two sponges as it is, and humidity is at 55%. I candled them last night and some of the air cells were quite big. Any suggestions for this?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I do that, but just to be safe I crumple paper towels (or even better, coffee filters) and put them in the water. It soaks it up and wicks it away into the air.....better for humidity anyway and much safer. [​IMG] Good luck with your hatch!!!

3. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Ah, brilliant, thank you! Why didn't I think of that? [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I like the last post with the towels but maybe put a screen on top so they can't get to the water or the towels and get wet.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    try using a new sponge

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:That's what I do (screen). I cut a piece of window screen and duct taped it to containers. My first hatch I didn't cover them and several chicks jumped in the water. They were okay, but it could have been bad. I have several plastic contains I use. The number of containers determines the humidity. I would also suggest making sure the containers can't be tipped. I just had that happen yesterday. If they spill one, the humidity will go sky high quickly (increased surface area).

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

or fill the bowl with marbles like in a brooder only you can keep the water below the top of the marbles instead of above it.

8. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hey, that's a good idea, too. That way they can't tip the container over. Hmmm....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by