Bowl waterer that refills for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moodybubbles, Feb 15, 2015.

1. moodybubbles

moodybubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    So I have the red nipples attached under the nesting boxes. 4 of them on a 3/4 inch pipe Connected via 3/4 inch pipe to a raised 5 gallon bucket. This works but those red nipples leak some in my coop. I have yellow nipples too and they are leaking as well. I don't want the excess moisture. So I was hoping i could connect my bucket to a smallish water bowl that has a float or something to let my bucket refill it.

Will this work? If I put it at their chest height will they not try to jump in it and get it all dirty? I hate having them have dirty water.

Those bowls arent cheap and I'm not sure I can make one work with my bucket system.

2. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    Is your coop to far to run a water hose out to it?

3. moodybubbles

moodybubbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Well I have to run the hose over to the donkeys trough and then over to the goats buckets and it needs to be free to water my garden so I just like to fill the 5 gallon bucket.

4. jaredthefox

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    I do the same thing. I have my water hose hooked up to a dog auto waterer. The dog auto waterer came with a short 4' hose on it. I put a valve and a quick disconnect on the end of it. I'll show you a pic off the web to show you what I mean. I go shut off the valve. Quick disconnect. Water garden and other various items. Than reconnect. [​IMG]

5. jaredthefox

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    Here's the bowl I use[​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Try using these nipples, installed properly they are much less likely to leak.
    Any open waterer will get dirty...and evaporation will increase humidity in coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by