Box for 12-15 pound jake

longranger

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
laguna hills CA
I want to purchase a jake to come via USPS but will need to provide a box for the seller. Any recommendations where I could find a box to mail to the seller?

I would think you'd need to purchase a plastic animal carrier for a bird that large.

Perhaps you could buy one on-line, and have it drop-shipped to the seller, if you trust that they will complete the transaction.

If you think a cardstock box will suffice, see if the seller can pick up an appropriate carton from places that either ship or rent to movers ... the UPS stores sell boxes, as do places like U-Haul.

Last edited:
You have to use a special box to ship through USPS. I know one brand is Horizons. You might look and see if they have an extra large box. You can't just ship a live animal in any box, but if the bird is not full grown it might just fit in the regular Horizons box.

Debbie

Thanks so much the Horizons line looks like exactly what I need. I will probably go with the largest box to give the poor guy a little stretching room. Will check his size and the price difference for shipping him before making a final decision.

Quote:
Yes you will need either the Omni (23.95) or the Large Swan box (25.95). For the extra $2 you are better off with the larger box.

Have the shipper- tape the bottom of the box OUTSIDE and INSIDE plus put one of the dividers flat across the bottom of the box (inside) for extra strenght.

http://www.hm-e.net/Bird NEST comparison chart_2009.htm

Shipping is variable according to what zone you are shipping to and from.

To give you an idea on shipping costs, Here is what some boxes cost us last week to ship:

13.6 lbs to TX 67.85
15.8 lbs to MI 73.45
17.11 lbs to LA 80.00
18.13 ibs to WA 82.70

Quote:
No the post office's do not carry them, you have to order the boxes either directly from Horizon OR one of their distributors. We used to be a distributor; I would pick up a truck load of boxes when I was in Georgia and sell them from our farm. But we also were shipping alot of birds at that time too. You can check if they have any distributor in your area.

Back
Top Bottom