box vs roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by key west chick, Nov 28, 2008.

1. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I've always had a roost for my chickens to sleep on. Sometimes I worry about them being to cold even though I've not lost one yet to the weather. If I took out the roosts during the winter and replaced them with boxes with bedding would they be unhappy? I thought it would make them warmer if they snuggled into some shavings instead of being up on a stick.

2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    They probably would be warmer but good luck breaking them of their habit. I think they are fine on a roost. I only provide a box with bedding for the mamas and their babies.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I don't think it gets THAT cold anywhere in the USA. SO relax, they're nice and cozy up there on the roost. Make sure the roost is fat or wide enough so they can sit down and cover their feet - their feet must be almost flat or flat on the roost, they are not bulit to curl around a skinny piece of wood.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I am in Maine and mine r all on roosts. As long as you have your coop draft free and dry, they are fine. If they sleep in boxes, they will get poo all over them!

5. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Thats what I kinda thought, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Mine all sleep on their roost. It is probably about 6 inches wide so their feet are covered. There are also nest boxes in there, none of them sleep in the nest boxes, except for the silkie that is broody, but when she is not broody, she sleeps on the roost.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    It just doesn't get that cold in GA.

I put an extra thick layer of shavings on the coop floor when it gets into the 20's, that way they have a choice of sleeping on the roosts or in the pile of shavings on the floor.

Sometimes my Mediterranean breeds will opt for the shavings on extra cold nights.

8. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    They should be fine on roosts, they have lotsa down and feathers [​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I would put the roosts back, and not let them get into the habit of sleeping in the boxes.

10. key west chick

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Never took the roosts down, no boxes up. Just the box for laying which they use to lay eggs. My roosts are large sticks I found in my yard. I've had them for a few years. They are large enough so the feet are covered by down and feathers. No toes poking out! They always seem to like them, just wondered if they would want something warmer, guess not!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by