Boxabator. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Well I made the box bator that I wanted to try, the temp is holding great but had to make a small thing under the light bulb cuz it gets to hot there. but my temp holds a steady 104 and im using a 25 watt, what are some things I can do to lower the temp 2 degrees?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Wire in a "dimmer switch." They are cheap and you can get them at Walmart. They go in like this:

DS
    ___[ ]____________
    <-- to lamp _______________|_|_<-- Plug

In other words, you wire it into one of the two wires that go to your lamp cord.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    or you can drill more holes and plug/unplug them according to temp/humidity. That is only if you have more time than money to be fiddling with things.

4. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    i have a dimmer, but not good with eletrical stuff, ill have to get my brother to help me. and the main problem is that the bulb is in the exact middle but one side is 102 and the other is showing 105. tested the thermometers their only off eachother by .5 and their in exact same spot on each opisite side.

also its a cardboard box incubator no drilling and before anyone thinks to themself how stupid I am yes I know this is probly a lost cause to some people but its a project to just try! [​IMG]

5. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    do you have a thermostat and a fan. either one of these
    can lower your temp to a more acceptable level. vent holes are also
    a good idea. It sometimes takes a while to get them right.

6. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Nope! its all
    Box
    25 watt bulb
    and a Disk light for the socket
    clear part off a cd case (didnt have a picture frame glass)
    and I taped Foil on the sides to raise the temp because it was at 96 before, so I took one side down and that helped some going to try to add a fan tomorrow

7. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Go to the craft store (or sometimes Walmart) and get a sheet of foam core board -- it's 1/4 inch thick foam they use like poster board usually....Cut it and apply it to the outside of the box -- a sheet should cost you less than 5 bucks.

It won't make it cooler, but will help to maintain a stable temp -- just be sure you have vent holes in it to match the holes in your box.

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

You need a fan for sure but I would spend the $8 on a hot water heater thermostat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by