Boxer "too important" to play with the schnauzers

ChksontheRun

Songster
9 Years
Mar 18, 2010
Central Virginia
We have a visiting boxer(dog) this week and the schnauzers and boxer that we have have been very accomidating. However, I have decided that the visiting boxer--Sara believes that she is too important to play with the likes of a little dog. She plays wonderfully with the other boxer, but today, when I was throwing the ball for all of the dogs, she kept turning her head with a glare at the little ones. She never glared at the other boxer, just at the schnauzers. I wish you all could have seen it, It cracked me up. I am so glad I have the opportunity to share life with these wonderful animals.
love.gif

Its funny. When I first got my GSD it was like she and my AmStaffs didn't speak the same language. They learned eventually. Keep an eye on your guest, though.

I have seen many times that a dog's first choice in playmates are of the same breed or group. Retrievers will hang out with retrievers, nordic breeds will group together, and so on. I have a heeler whose first friend was a boxer, to this day he loves playing with boxers when normally it usually takes him awhile to warm up to other dogs. Standard poodles too he connects with right away, as he grew up with parent's poodles.

I can imagine, I usually see it the other way! When I had my first dane and he was a puppy, my mom had a schnauzer that didn't play! Atleast not if she thought anyone was watching (every once in awhile you'd see her walk by a toy, grab it, shake it, and toss it, then glance around real quick to make sure no one saw), so when Baxter was a puppy he'd try to get her to play, he'd take a toy and put it on her head, roll it around abit, then let go and it would fall to the floor. Poor Baxter, eventually she'd occationally take hold of a toy, but again, only when she thought no one was looking.

Back
Top Bottom