1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy Bunnies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by truckerswife, Aug 3, 2008.

1. truckerswife

truckerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I have a 5 year old male rabbit. Not neutered. My son wants to get him a 'friend" . Can two bucks be together or will they fight?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    most likely two bucks together will fight for dominance.
    It can be serious, or just them humping each other...but i would never advise anyone to put two males together unless they were both neutered.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have been told that 'most' bunnies are solitary animals and dont like to share their cage. We just recently got ours a buddy and regret it. I love them both, but its more work when they did not get along and we now have 2 cages to clean. I wish i could back up and be happy with just one.

4. truckerswife

truckerswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    Thanks for input. That is what I thought. My rabbit's cage is in the chicken yard so he has plenty look at: hens resting, scratching under his cage, wild bird feeder, squirrels,etc. He seems content.

Think we will keep him solo.

5. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    ya know i must have some really nice rabbits. i've only had one buck that had a serious issue with another buck. spiro hated, and i mean hated, super buck. they fought through their cages. yeah i moved the cages. then i put them in the colony and they never fought again. those are the only two i've had any problems with. but i wouldn't get him a friend either. it isn't pretty when they grab onto each others testicles and run in circles. okay it's a little funny to watch but not a good thing at all.

6. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    We had males when I was a kid. It ended very badly!!

As an adult I've always had house bunnies that were fixed. I had a bonded male/female pair that came together but had some fosters also. From my experience even introducing a neutered male to a spayed female was difficult. Had some fights with foster bunnies. This was after caging them seperate and slowly pushing cages closer to eachother.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    They will fight.. i have meat rabbits and already tried that and they were fighting within a day it's just best to have 2 cages if you get another male or even another female cuz even if you put a female with him they will fight.. a female rabbit will only put up with a male for so long in the same cage.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I recommend to everyone who asks to keep rabbits separated, no matter the sex. The problem with rabbits is that even though they may get along perfectly for awhile, or even in the beginning, that could all change in a second. I've heard of people buying sibling rabbits of the same sex and waking up one morning to find the other dead or seriously injured. Rabbits are really quite content with being alone. As long as they have food, water, space, and a clean habitat, they could care less if they had a friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by