Boy? Do girls ever hold their tails like this?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haunted Chicken, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I'm worried this may be a boy (I can't keep roos in town) Do EE girls ever hold their tails high like this? Her/his sister doesn't, but this one has since day one. One of my 4 is already a roo...is this number two? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    how old is the chick?

3. ninnyeggs

ninnyeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    both of my girls dont but maybe u just have an oddball [​IMG]

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, it's a bit early to tell whether or not it's a cockerel.

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Well mine did that...I kept telling every one look how this one holds its tail, and the way it stands, and it's legs stockier..........well it, is a roo, took me 3 trips to the feed store before anyone would agree that my EE was a boy, and only after they saw his nice red comb. Trying to re-home mine (to a good home) 2months old nice no crowning so far. but your little one sure looks like mine did, but time will tell. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gallagherfarm

Gallagherfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Look right over the tail for saddle feathers. They will be stringy and usually a bolder color than the other feathers. They come out just over the tail on the rump.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Sexing EEs can be tricky and she's very young to say but that's an awful lot of brown and black barring for a boy. I'd put my money on pullet. And don't bother looking for saddle feathers, she's much too young for that.

FWIW, I have an EE girl that likes to hold her tail high and sticks her neck out when she hears a noise (and she's the girliest of my EE girls with her twiggy little legs):
    [​IMG]

8. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Thanks for the responses. Some of you have given me hope [​IMG] and some of you....not so much [​IMG] lol I guess I just wait. Why is waiting so darn hard. (Not sure of her hatch date, I'd guess 2 1/2 - 3 weeks)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  9. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    My EE roo at that age really had no tail to speak of and really thick legs. Here are some pics:

3 weeks:
    [​IMG]

5 weeks:
    [​IMG]

10. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I was comparing photos of my EE girls against my roo at the same age as yours is and I think you have a pullet! At this age, if yours was roo, you would start seeing a triple pea comb coming in. The girls have a really flat, not even a comb yet. I can't see in your photo but I am guessing there is really no comb?

I went through the same thing with all my chicks because we can't keep the roosters and it was so frustrating trying to figure it out what sex they were!! We had 11 chicks and 3 ended up being roos.

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by