Boy feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by birdface, Oct 18, 2011.

1. birdface

birdface Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    Will a roo chick feather out faster than a girl. I have two chicks that are the same age and one is feathering faster than the other.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    In some breeds it's the females that feather out faster. But not very many. If you post pics of your birds we could tell you what their genders are. [​IMG]

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    roosters grow faster in size, their legs are usually thicker then hens, and thir feathers will look different then a hens, even when very little
    How old are your chicks?

4. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    They are probably 3-4 weeks by now. They werent day olds when i got them so im not really sure. Their big kid feathers are just starting to come in, its just the one chicks are coming in alot faster. And it has a pretty big comb already, thats whats making me think roo. The only pics i have are older so you cant see the new feathers. I keep checking out the new feathers looking for pointy ones coming in, but i know its still too early. Ill try to get some new ones but they dont like to hold still

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    What breed is (he)

6. birdface

May 27, 2011
    Downingtown, Pa
    (He) is supposed to be a blue ameraucana. But im know a little weary of that since its cheeks arents as puffy as the other one, but i guess ill have to wait on that too

7. jarvis

jarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    potosi
    (he) looks like a australop ..
    ameracaunas have pea combs (easter eggers usually do .. i think the ones that have single combs dont lay the blue/green/pink eggs ... ?). he has a single comb .. and is legs are black .. not green or slate . ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by