Boy, girl, or too early ? ...picture heavy... updated 8 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fused1013, Sep 30, 2013.

1. fused1013

fused1013 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Southeast MI
    I posted this on another thread and was informed this may get more hits. I just have a gut feeling my "pullet" Tiggy (winkle) is not a pullet. She/he is feathering slower than the others,the coloring in the feathers is getting brighter and splotchier and the tail is different.

I managed to get a few still shots of the comb. My gut tells me she's a he. This was taken at 4-1/2 weeks
    [​IMG]

I got several more today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a bit over 7-1/2 weeks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    other side, the chest feathers are getting black in them now and the reddish color is getting brighter

[​IMG]
    with the others

[​IMG]
    front

[​IMG]
    front
    [​IMG]
    under the hen house, the tail feathers got some skinny little tips on them that are curling downwards

[​IMG]
    8 weeks top
    [​IMG]
    top close-ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    with the others at feeder
    [​IMG]
    another top view
    [​IMG]
    top left angle
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    top right angle. and.. I just heard what sure sounded like a crow

2. swampturkey

swampturkey In the Brooder

Sep 11, 2013
    it does look like it could end up being a rooster. however, my experience is not with breeds with that style comb. dealing with breeds with a pea comb, it can be difficult to determine gender when they are young, but start listening for a voice change within the next couple of weeks. i hope this helps.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a cockerel. the coloring, the different tail, and the three rows on the pea comb all say male.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    That bird is a cockerel, at least in my opinion. The comb is red, the coloring is patchy, and the body is masculine. Very pretty boy, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: