Boy-Girl ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Jul 17, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

We always say 3 girls to one drake. We also say to many drakes to hens is a problem. What about the other way around? What about 8 girls and 1 boy? Wouldn't the boy be overwhelmed? I guess a silly question, I kind of know the answer, but wonder what you guys think. Turned out my 11 young ducks have 7 girls and 4 boys, plus I have one pair (male and female) that are one month older. I plan on re-homing all the 4 boys this weekend and just keep one. Good idea or should I keep another one? The 4 boys will go to someone who want them to refresh their breeding program with a new gene pool, so they will have a good home.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Overwhelmed? I think he would be delighted. 8/1 might be a little high for optimum fertility if for some reason one or two weren't attractive to him, but other than that all would be fine. Far better than multiple drakes gang breeding and harassing the hens.

3. katharinad

I plan on using the ducks for eating egg production. For breeding I will put him with 3 hens together next year. Good news is he will not be related to any of the hens. Well he will be related with one, but she will not get his pleasure. [​IMG] I just don't feel like having a lot of boys to feed and boy competition trouble.

4. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    I have this book on raising a flock of ducks that actually said that you should have 3-9 hens for each drake. [​IMG]

5. katharinad

There is this ideal fertility thing, and you should have only 3 girls per drake if you plan on selling fertile eggs. I guess I was looking for a reason to keep the boys. They are all so sweet. [​IMG]
    Love my spoiled ducks.

6. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Good for you!! We always try to make sure there is an extra drake in case one dies. For example, we lost our alpha muscovy drake after he died of a heart attack after losing a fight to a challenger.

7. katharinad

I was thinking about keeping one extra for the possible loss to a predator etc. At the same time I know myself and I will probably get more hatching eggs next year from a third breeder. Nothing wrong with having your own Saxony breeding pool of non related ducks. The breeder who will be taking the boys has her own stock, that is not related to mine and she will give me some eggs next year. I could have taken some now, but we are getting into our busy sales season and I simply don't have the time right now to incubate and brood another batch. I import German gift items and Oktoberfest season is just around the corner for us.

8. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I vote keep an extra. I always keep an extra boy in case of predators.. Also because I'm paranoid that one of my boys will be infertile (which has actually happened! once.).. Or that the one I keep will be the one that's particularly bad with the ladies.

Erm.. And I'm in enabler of myself and others. [​IMG]

9. katharinad

I have to get that across with my husband. :)LOL He loves the ducks, but he can also get overwhelmed with all the poo he sees. [​IMG] I'm the one cleaning it, but he helps with feeding and watering.
    I'm just starting again with duck. Used to have them all in my childhood. Chicken, ducks, geese, and even pigs. Haven't had any in over 35 years and now I just started with the Saxony ducks. It's amazing how much I still remember, but it also sad to know that I've forgotten a lot of things about keeping them. For me it has turned into a discovery thing. A discovery of my past. I love the way get get more and more attached to us. First is was all love, then it was bloody murder, and now they are following me around like puppies. The oldest ones have turned 12 weeks. We are getting closer to egg laying. I know it will still take a little, but I can't wait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by