Boy, girl??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LindsaySinai, Sep 22, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    I know when people say "please tell me this isn't he" that they somehow know it is and just don't want it to be. So, once again...please don't say this is a he!! I really don't need any more chickens but I saw the white one and couldn't resist and went back the next day and bought it for my birthday. They're supposed to be girls buts there's no guarantee. She was the smallest in a coop of probably 50. So..2 days later I went back and got another to keep her company because she def was not satisfied just being next to the adult chicken coop. This time another lady went in and picked the black one saying it had the best feathers then told me "you know they can be roosters right." I didnt get a good look and the whole way home I had a bad feeling. I took him out and at 4 weeks his wattles are there and pretty red, bad sign? I look at him and all I can think is boy... Granted the black one is much bigger then the white, but he was also one of the smaller ones in the coop. His feet are a lot bigger too...not good. Any ideas??
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The black MIGHT be a boy but it is hard to say. The white is a definite girl.

3. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:What coloring do you think the black is? Is it just "black" or do you think it might be something else?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Umm, the black is a black? Your question confused me.

It's just a black, as long as one of its parents didn't have any gold or white coloration on them.

5. LindsaySinai

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:I thought it was black but then I got confused when I saw pictures of black cochins and some were listed as black mottled?? Does the white on the face mean anything or will that go away?

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It will go away.

Mottled Cochins start out as chicks with almost solid white heads, then grow up to have big blotches of white on the breast, then even out to have mottling all over.

Blacks begin with white chest, underside of the face, and belly, but feather out solid black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by