1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Boy in my all girl mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vickichicki, Sep 22, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana

So I have my fabulous RIR chicks growing at a rapid rate, with one exception.

All are 2 weeks old as of Thursday, however in the last growth spurt I noticed one chick not feathering as rapid as the others. It is also alot smaller than the others. I weigh them and it is about an ounce lighter than the rest and it also has only just got tail feathers and feathers above where the wing joins the body. Where as all the rest are now working on feathers above the legs and filling in their rather ridiculous racing strip feathers on their chest.

The little one eats fine with the others. There is no pushing out going on.

However.. while the others are working on looking all raggedy with sprigs of down and feathers everywhere (they really look like no one owns them) this one has been working on growing a comb.

Compared to the rest (9 others) it has a darker pinkish red comb that is sticking out. The others have yellowish pink combs still tucked in.

Here are some photos, maybe someone can confirm my suspicions on have a male among my girls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] Close up of one of the girls virtually no comb

[​IMG] Comparison picture

Who'd thunk making them both face the same direction for the picture would be so difficult... I think the last photo was taken after 50 unsuccessful attempts.

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Yup, that looks like a boy. Remember sexing at hatchery is only 90% accurate. But if you can keep him, watch his temperment, RIR tend to be aggresive. Not all though, you may get lucky

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Appreciate the prompt feedback.

I have no problems with having a roo in the mix and I understand the sexing method is not 100%. If it turns out we got lucky and there is only one Roo among the girls I shall be a happy camper.

As they are all in my bathtub right now my husband is in the process of building a new coop.. if I know there is a definate boy in there we can make some changes and alot a boy only zone in there.

'He' seems to have a great temperment so far... rather curious and is eagar to meet us and see what we have to offer for snacks. Hopefully with enough interaction it will remain a friendly companionship.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    From what I have read on here the boy chicks are always the most friendly, then they become hormonal teens. I would say TREATS, TREATS,TREATS! That is how I got my cockerel to trust me as provider and not a threat. If you have kids make sure they are handling him alot and not to run after the chickens, he will think they are attacking the chickens. Hope all goes well. Keep updating this thread from time to time.

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Ya, this is a story to follow! :)

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    yes that is a cockerel all the way. the comb is way to red for the age of the chick

7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    [​IMG]

Ok, we are at 4 weeks, new pictures... I am 99.9% convinced we have a boy.. or a rather cute cross dresser.

Now showing almost waffly looking pink/red showing too. His legs are thicker and have a yellow look to them as well.

Thanks for all the feedback in the beginning stages... I will happily take 9 out of 10 girls.

[​IMG]

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Yup, that looks like a cockerel.

9. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

They are so cute. [​IMG] Do you notice they like a certain snack more than others?

10. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    All of them are are still acting silly over snacks, like they are scary. Although corn muffins are a big hit.
    My husband offered to catch all the grasshoppers that land on the house after the grass has been cut and saving them for me.
    Can not wait to see how they take that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by