Boy lock down

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well I have done it. I caught all my roosters and have put them in lock down until my breeding pens are up and running. I found one of my layers (note out of my girls I have three for sure laying and 20 that will start soon) with her comb with blood on it. As I was in there feeding the flock I saw one of the youngsters find her and mate with her and he was quite rough. [​IMG] I am hoping that a bit of time will cool both him and me as I got so angry that I chased down all the boys and put them in the isolation room.

How do you introduce the rooster with the hens in a breeding pen? Do you just throw them in together? Are they usually in the flock until you put them in the breeding pen? I have 7 roosters- 4 of the silver laced variety (my youngsters) , 1 turken, which will be getting some females this month [​IMG] Since he happens to be my favorite he was saved when I butchered. and two that I keep trying to figure out what they are both have turned into very pretty boys- one of which is my entertainment as he gets into so much trouble and the other is my singer. I know that I will have to butcher again but am not looking forward to it.

How do you have your breeding program set up? I am hoping that once these youngsters give me eggs for a month or so that I can put them into breeding pens and hatch out chicks this year.

Any and all words of wisdom would be welcome.

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I just went out to the barn to check on all the chickens and ducks and I had to laugh as I found all the boys in the most unusual place. Above the old water heater and above the window. Hopefully I can figure out how to put these pictures up as it is TOO funny.

And I ended up trecking back to the house just to treck back out with a camera (trust me it is COLD out there) so you know it was a good spot.

3. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Definitely don't just throw them in together. Slip the male onto the roost at night. Chickens have very short memories and the females might gang up on the male and fight him.

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    you mean in the whole coop or in the breeding pens?

How many girls do you have to one roo?

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

When I got a new roo last weekend, I sectioned him off in his own pen visible to the ladies for about 3 days, and added him at night. As far as I can tell, things went fairly smoothly. My girls really aren't that picky though.

However the roo that got removed, well, one of my other bachelor roos HATES him [​IMG] so Mr Meanie may find himself sectioned off into the side pen more permanently [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by