Boy oh' Boy I sure have some roos...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augustmomx2, Mar 18, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My chicks turned 1wk today and my some of my 7 extra "packing peanuts" are certainly roos. I was near my brooder, petting and talking to them. Suddenly, 4 of them stood up real tall and did the "stare." Then they started pecking at eachothers beaks. The other chicks started flapping their wings and getting nervous over all the commotion. Ahhh...they're definitely going to have to go if they keep up this behavior [​IMG]

2. geetabean

geetabean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    Smithfield, NC
    Is that necessarily Roo behavior? I have 4 (4 week old) RIRs and they all do that. I thought they were just checking out the situation and seeing if I had any treats. Are mine all Roos?

Gina

3. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    packing peanut always are, they are usually in surplus... cant hardly give them away...

4. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Some of my pullets had the same behavior. You probably do have roos though, packing peanuts generally are from what I've heard.

Hijack alert-I got my first two eggs today-Hijack alert

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they can make a mistake and sex a cockerel as a pullet, then they can also make a mistake and sex a pullet as a cockerel. Generally however the packing peanuts are cockerels.
    Still both sexes do the pecking order thing, even as babies.

6. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Quote:Well crap-ola...I'm going to have to hang onto these babies longer than I thought. I sure don't want to give away a girl! Hmmm...at least its something fun to keep me and my fam guessing [​IMG]

7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My little boys started doing their chest-bumping thing at about 2 weeks old.. and they started crowing at around 2-3 weeks lol

8. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Hey, doesn't the stare and chest-bumping remind you of the behaviour of another species?

Suzy

[​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    At that age even the females will posture and chest bump. They are establishing the pecking order for their flock.

10. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    Actually, my extra packing peanut from My Pet Chicken was a BR hen- and she turned out to be my friendliest hen of the bunch. Keep your fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by