Boy or Girl? Americauna chick photos...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by stevemaller, Jan 20, 2011.

1. stevemaller

stevemaller New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    4+ month old Americauna raised from a 2-day old chick. Hasn't crowed yet, but size and behavior and appearance are leaning towards a rooster. Please help us figure out if our Alice is actually Alice Cooper! [​IMG]

One of the photos you'll see is of the two Americaunas we have (both the same age), and what's interesting is how much larger the white one ("Alice") is than the brown one ("Edie"). That's what's most obvious.

PS: It seems I can't post photos here yet, so please come look at my latest blog post at maller.com/chickens and post your comments here.

Thank you!

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Your "Americaunas" are actually Easter Eggers not "Ameraucanas" and based on the head shots on your website ~ Alice is a roo. He has 3 distinct rows on his nice red pea comb. On the up side Edie looks like a pullet.

Easter Eggers are a mixed breed chicken which can lay almost any color egg but frequently lays green, blue or brown. They are very nice birds and are often incorrectly called "Americauanas" by hatcheries and feed stores.

I posted your pictures from your site for you...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:x2

4. stevemaller

stevemaller New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Ooh...thank you for your answers!

And so sorry for the double post...the website wasn't answering when I posted the first one, and so I did it again.
    I hang my newbie head in shame.
    [​IMG]

5. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Yeah Alice looks like a rooster, sorry.

6. stevemaller

stevemaller New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
    Quote:No worries. I put an ad on Craigslist and a local guy who's starting a flock is coming in a couple days to get her. And yes, I charged just enough to guarantee that he isn't going to be tonight's dinner. [​IMG]

7. stevemaller

stevemaller New Egg

Jan 20, 2011
  8. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    yep, it was a roo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by