boy or girl? and what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nichole77, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Songster

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I found this at a new feed store and they think that it's a she because there was no spur starting. Also I noticed the comb was a little different. I think it could be a white leghorn. But I thought that I would ask the pros. It was one of those dyed easter chicks at one time so it's still a little orange.[​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Leghorn roo! Spurs wont start until they are a couple of months old. My 1.5 yr old leghorn still only has a bump on his leg.

3. Nichole77

Nichole77 Songster

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    It is a couple of months old. The reason we thought that it might be a she is that all the others of the same group have a bump on the legs and this one doesn't and their combs are bigger and had an extra section on the back. From the pic it looks like this one has a waddle but its only on one side of the face. I don't understand what you guys are seeing in some of those pics. It's amazing, I wish I could do that. Perhaps if I knew what to look for I could find a pullet. This would be my 4th roo. out of 9 chickens[​IMG]
    Thank you for the help.

4. Portia

Portia Songster

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I don't have leghorns, but that's an awfully large & red comb for a pullet of that age. Exactly how old is this chick; looks to be around 4-5 weeks however I'm still a novice...but learning fast!

ah, sorry about that...I see you wrote she was about 6 weeks. Still seems like a big comb to me, but I know leghorn combs can get huge.

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  5. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted In the Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    It's most likely a roo, but i've had some pullets that started with a giant comb that are leghorns.

So there's always hope! [​IMG]

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Songster

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    More like 7 or 8 weeks. And I thought the comb was big too but it's smaller than all the other ones from the group.

7. reallemons1

reallemons1 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I'm not real good at leghorns, but I would think the waddles would be bigger at 2 months if it were a roo. Maybe girl?

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    roo

9. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Songster

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Quote:Ok, maybe I should be more clearly, I mean more like 8 -12 months old.

Also I have been breeding leghorns for a couple of years and pullets normally wont get a very big comb until 3-4 months, they get a real growth spurt a couple of weeks just before they start to lay. At this age it is most definitly a roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: