1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

boy or girl? and who is my dad?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nbchickfarming, Nov 11, 2012.

1. nbchickfarming

nbchickfarming Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    mom was a BO .is the dark one a roo? and the yellow a girl?[​IMG]

older pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

who is the dad??

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Aris

Aris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Greece ,Chania
    I think it's a Black Sex Link female , so I would say that the father is the Barret Rock.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    In order to have sexlinked offspring , the hen must be silver based and the roo must be red/gold based.

The chick in question may look like a black sex link female but it cannot be if its mother is red/gold based.

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Why don't you list the breeds of hens and roosters that you have. That would give us a good starting point to quess with.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Or a barred hen under a solid roo, which is kinda what the darker chick looks like, but it's also just a common mixed breed color.

That pretty barred rock roo would have thrown barred offspring, so he's not the daddy of either chick. If your only other roo is that nice red fellow, he's the daddy.

And do you know for sure the buff orp laid the egg, not just brooded someone else's egg?

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they are to young to tell the gender on right now. wait a few more weeks...i can tell you the barred rock is not the father

7. Aris

Aris Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Greece ,Chania
    Oh yes you are right,I mixed the genders for the BSL [​IMG] , sorry still learning.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. nbchickfarming

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    The mom. Was supposed. To be a BO. However chancesare its not. Due to colouring. The others. Are RIR. BR. Or RSL. That red guy was a "pullet " in our purchase. Of RIR or the RSL. Maybe jumped in wrong bucket at the farm store :/

9. nbchickfarming

May 14, 2012
    southern, il
    Forgot. Also a GSL hen in that. Pen was 99% sure BO mom. Because I wanted a BO for. Dif. Flock

10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    If you have a Barred Rock hen, then she's the mother and the father is the red rooster.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by