Boy or girl budgie?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by chicken4prez, Jan 1, 2017.

1. chicken4prez

chicken4prez Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I have 4 budgies (only 3 are shown in the pictures) and I was hoping that you guys would be able to tell me what genders they are.
    The yellow is almost 2 months I think. The blue one is a bit over 3 months and they grey one is 1 month I think.
    Thanks!

Jacquie Button likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They are a bit young to gender ID. As they mature the cere on the females will become more brown while the cere on any males will become more blue.

3. EthansChickens3

EthansChickens3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2016
    Berlin, Deutschland
    My Coop
    What is their sounds, I think my cousin (@Alexandra33 ) might know? She has birds like those, I pretty sure that they are both males? They really look like parakeets.

4. As far as gender goes, for now I couldn't tell you for sure, they are young. The part that was mentioned earlier about any male cere turning blue is not true. Recessive pieds, albino and lutino males never get a blue cere, they will stay pink their entire lives. I just recently learned this from a breeder on here, I have a recessive pied male who I have had for 3 years and thought was a female. I also just bought a new one that is 12 weeks old, The same breeder told me it was a female, it's cere at this age is white and she is a yellow face opaline.

5. Budgerigar is the real name for a parakeet. Budgie is the shortened version.

6. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Beautiful birdies, sis! [​IMG] I agree, it's a little early to know for sure, and certain mutations have different cere colors. (as opposed to the blue=male, pink=female articles you'll read) Personally, I'm almost tempted to guess males at this point. [​IMG] I don't see any white circles around the nostrils, either. Another thing, males bob their heads a lot, aren't generally territorial/bitey/crabby, and are overall more vocal. (from what I've seen anyway - I'm not an expert [​IMG]) Keep in mind that I could be in error. [​IMG]

~Amari

7. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok thanks.

8. chicken4prez

Jun 14, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh and congrats on getting the badge. [​IMG]

9. gpop1

gpop1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2015

Budgies has a different meaning this side of the pond. What you are referring to as a parakeet is commonly called a America budgie and what you would call a budgie is referred to as a English budgie. Now even different areas use different terms so one pet store will list it as a parakeet and the next as a budgie. In general English budgies are call English budgies to avoid confusion especially as they are a lot more expensive. You also have the dreaded budgie cross that's a mix between the two different types and is often passed of as a English or a large parakeet.

10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! [​IMG]

Thanks so much! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~Amari

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by