Boy or Girl...can you tell????

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scrapmom5, Apr 28, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    How can you tell the differences between male and female ducks? I have a Pekin and a runner. Is there a way to tell or do I need to wait and see if they will lay eggs to know. My two ducks seem very unsure of the world...is this normal. They just don't seem to roam and are more content to just sit. Also my runner will do nothing but sqwak if the Pekin has been taken somerwhere. The runner seems to thinks it is the shadow of the Pekin. Somewhat of the odd duck isn't it?[​IMG]

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Listen to the quack... most ducks are related to mallards and the hen will have a loud distinct quack. Drakes have a quiet hoarse quack.

3. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    like Frosty said listen for the quack (females) not sure of age but also look for curled up tail feather.. that will be your male.... out of my last 6 runners, 3 are males [​IMG]

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    could you post pictures of the tail feathers so I can see the difference?

Also on the quacks...the are just getting their adult quacks in. The one almost sound like it is honking...I know I am pretty new to this but I am sure they are both ducks. They are only about 5 - 6 weeks old. They have non stop chatter going when a human is around or when they need something.

When will they (if they are girls) start laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by