BOY OR GIRL CHICK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Thebeechicks, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Thebeechicks

Thebeechicks In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2018
    Can anyone tell if these chicks are boys are girls? The yellow ones are salmon faverolles and the black one is salmon faverolle mixed with white top polish if that helps at all.

Attached Files:

4 ever Orpington likes this.
  2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Feather sexing only works on certain breeds of chickens and only if they are bred in a special way. It is done at hatcheries that breed that sort of chick on the day they hatch. You'll have to wait for the chicks to grow up before you'll know what sex they are.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. diamondsilkies

diamondsilkies Songster

Oct 23, 2017
    Southern Arizona
    I've heard about feather sexing, but don't know much about it, as as @wamtazlady said, it only works for certain breeds. You'll have to wait until they're older until you can tell. Roosters usually have larger/redder combs and wattles, and pointier hackle feathers, as well as larger tails. Hens have more rounded feathers, and while you may get the occasional hen with a large comb, its usually the boys that have those. Check back in at least 6-8 weeks in the future if you're still not sure.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    IMG_0726.PNG

5. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Songster

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    Salmon Faverolles can be sexed by color once they start getting their feathers in. If the feathers come in cream/salmon color its a female if the chest feathers come in black its a male. Here is one of my salmon Faverolle pullets. I don't have a rooster for comparison but you will know its a cockerel if the chest feathers are black.

Attached Files:

6. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Songster

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I have a batch of half Salmon Faverolles chicks. Of the 10 chicks 4 are dark colored. They are only 2 months old, too young to tell sex for sure. I'm curious if the dark ones will be male and the lighter ones female. I do know one of the dark ones is a cockerel. The other chicks seem to be further behind in showing what they are.

7. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Songster

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    I have 5 hatchery quality salmon Faverolle pullets which I'm sure probably have some sort of a mix in them. Hatchery quality Faverolle pullets can have some darker colors mixed in but if the chest comes in black its a cockerel. Since yours are only half Faverolle I don't know if they can be color sexed. Here are some more of my Faverolle pullets.

Attached Files:

8. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Songster

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    Here is a screenshot I took from the internet of a salmon Faverolle rooster so you can see how dark the roosters are for comparison.

Attached Files:

9. Buffbrahmasforever

Buffbrahmasforever Chirping

Jun 29, 2018
    If these breeds were able to be feather sexed then the third one would be cockerel and the rest pullets. Though third was very unclear looks like what a cockerel's feathers would look like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: