Boy or Girl? Golden Laced Polish. *Pic Heavy*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickens in the Grove, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    It's that time of year! And the Polish is the only one we have absolutely no idea about!

She/he is from Meyer Hatchery and was supposed to be a girl. So, we originally thought girl! But, then her head feathers didn't fall. They stuck straight up like a roos would! So, when she started squawking like our roos, we figured that she was a he. But, when he never did actually crow and his head feathers flopped over, we thought that maybe he still might be a she!

So, now here we are! Boy or girl?

Day 1.
    [​IMG]

Day 6.
    [​IMG]

Day 21. We'd still thought girl at this point. She was feathering pretty well. We had a Golden Laced Wyandotte who was still so fuzzy! Not a tail feather in sight!
    [​IMG]

Day 46. At this point we started thinking boy, though. His head and tail feathers were sticking straight up and he was cuckling like the other roos.
    And sorry you can't see the head feathers! There were a couple weeks where he/she always had his/her head in the dirt. The photo makes them look a little fluffed over, but they weren't! His feathers were really thin and stuck straight up in the air!
    [​IMG]

Day 65. This is about when we stopped figuring boy. His head feathers got all wet and when they dried out he had this nice little plume on the top of his head! Her tail feathers had also fallen and she stopped squawking.
    [​IMG]

Day 78. So, now here we are all confused! It's too early for an egg and there still isn't a crow, so we don't know if she/he is a boy or girl!
    Our Wyandotte is to the left in the first picture and he's a roo. His legs look a lot bigger, but that's just because the Polish's blue is blending in with the grass. They're actually about the same size.
    You know what? I'll actually just put a leg picture in there. That's our Wyandotte roo again on the left and the Speckled Sussex is a hen. Her legs are pretty much the same size as the Polish's and they've always been like that. The little legs in the back are our Belgian D'Anver's. He's a roo and half their size, so don't use him as a reference! He has itty bitty bantam legs!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The next pictures are his/her back and side. I am no good with telling saddle feathers and she/he is missing some tail feathers. I'm not entirely sure how that happened, but those middle feathers are gone!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Rooster.

3. sutillman

sutillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    south georgia
    Looks like all of my hens. The GL roo will have alot different saddle feathers and the top hat will be totally different. Here are pics of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Pullet. The fro is all wrong for a roo, and the gold has a different quality for boys.

5. Chickens in the Grove

Chickens in the Grove Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I've seen roos with the wrong coloring, though. That's not always an indication of gender. Hatchery Polish aren't exactly bred to a tee.

6. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    pullet - head feathers aren't spikey enough to be a cockerel - on the tail feathers, btw, they fall out but will come back in much fuller very soon

7. WhoopiePie

WhoopiePie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Queens, NY
    the saddle feathers do seem like they are getting pointy/stringey but i think it's a girl, her top hat/crest is quite round which is a female characteristic. i've had roos before and going by the saddle feathers can be confusing, but the crest is more reliable IMO. i know she's young but her legs look kinda skinny too rather than thick rooster legs.

8. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    It looks like a hen to me. Hopefully you'll get eggs soon. [​IMG]

9. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a girl. Looks like my Bridget did. Also from Meyer. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Count Orloff

Count Orloff Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Delaware, OH
    Very nice colors on Bridgett there! I like how you take pictures from the future too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by